NEED EASY REFRIGERATOR PICKLE RECIPE

pirtykitty

Chillin' In The Garden
Reaction score
Does anyone have an easy refrigerator pickle recipe for bread and butter pickles and sweet gherkin pickles
thank you

digitS'

Garden Master
Reaction score
'Kitty, I'm not fond of bread & butter pickles or any sweet pickles, for that matter. In fact, I can eat about 1 small dill pickle in 24 hours. That's about it . . . :rolleyes:

But, I grow lots of cucumbers and wanted to make dill pickles a year or 2 ago - I don't know why I thought I could get away with it since every other effort I'd made at pickling anything had failed :/.

I found the easiest recipe for refrigerator dills I could find. It should have been a clue that 29 recipes out of 30 that I came across were for sweet pickles, not dills.

Anyway, the "dill" pickles came out sooooooo sweet, I couldn't eat them :lol:! Well, I certainly think you have taken the right direction on this thing. I'll look for that recipe :), maybe you could just leave out the dill and it would come out okay for you.

Steve

digitS'

Garden Master
Reaction score
Well, I haven't done anything yet, Kitty. And, when I tried - couldn't eat them :p. I came across this in a magazine that my mom used to have a subscription for. My recipe drawer is so crammed with things like this . . .

It might be what I used:

6 to 8 pounds pickling cucumbers
40 fresh dill sprigs
2 large onions, thinly sliced
5 garlic cloves, sliced
1 quart water
1 quart white vinegar
3/4 cup sugar
1/2 cup canning salt

Cut each cucumber lengthwise into four spears. In a large bowl, combine the cucumbers, dill, onions and garlic; set aside. In a Dutch oven, combine the remaining ingredients. Bring to a boil; cook and stir just until salt is dissolved. Pour over cucumber mixture; cool.

Cover tightly and refrigerate for at least 24 hours. Store in the refrigerator for up to 2 months. Yield: 100 pickle spears.

It was very simple and seems right, except it seems like I wasn't given 2 months to learn to acquire a taste for them . . . there were onions & garlic but I recall that the cukes were really surplus. I just had so many that I thought this was a good way to preserve them. Maybe if I had just left the sugar out . . . :hu

Oh, and I didn't use pickling cukes. They were some nice American slicers. I can't remember if I've ever grown pickling cukes.

I hope you have success finding a recipe and things turn out to your liking!

Steve

Kim_NC

Attractive To Bees
Reaction score
I got this one a couple years ago from another forum. They're very easy, and great.

Claussen like Refrigerator Pickles

Boil a pot of tap water and let it cool to room temperature. In a bowl mix and dissolve the pickle liquid in the following ratio.

Pickle liquid:
3 1/2 cup water, boiled and cooled
1/2 cup white vinegar
2 1/2 tbsp pickling salt
1 1/2 tbsp sugar

For each jar:
Sliced pickling cucumbers to fill jar
1 garlic clove, peeled & diced
1/8 tsp dill seed
1/4 tsp mustard seed
1/16 tsp red pepper flakes

Put spices and garlic in bottom of any jar that has a screw lid and
add the cucumbers. Fill the jar with the pickle liquid,
put on jar lid and shake jar to disperse spices.
Set upside down on counter away from sunlight
and heat. Let sit 2 days flipping the jar
either upright or upside down each day then refrigerate.

mamato3

Sprout
Reaction score
Hello you sound like me i wanted an easy recipe so i made one after looking at like a million recipes works so far.
Here is the recipe i copied of the net
REFRIGERATOR BREAD & BUTTER PICKLES
3 c. vinegar
4 c. sugar
1/4 c. canning salad
1 tsp. turmeric
1 tsp. celery salt
1 tsp. mustard seed
1 tsp. pickling spice
Cucumbers
Onions

Fill jars with cukes and onions. Bring syrup to a boil and pour over. Refrigerate. 3 quarts.

I changed it to
2 cups apple cider
1 cup white vinegar
1 teaspoon pickling spice
1 teaspoon mustard seed
3 cups sugar
6 cucumbers
1 medium onion
Made 4 pints for me which me and the kids have already ate lol. I just canned some more today to put in the pantry this time and my dd asked when when i was going to open them i said this winter she says what i have to wait that long lol. Promised her i would make some more up for the ice box lol

Picklemasti

Sprout
Reaction score
Isnt there more to non-vegetarian food than just chicken and mutton?
I think there is, too.
And one of the young and popular cousins in the non-vegetarian food family is prawn. When pickled, she is fiery hot and finger-licking spicy just the kind of medicine needed to bring your everyday meal back to life.
The art of pickling prawn is perhaps most skillfully displayed in the coastal areas of Goa and Andhra. Goans have, in fact, reportedly mastered this art.

This zombie in Go Goa Gone may have had a little too much prawn pickle
So whats the recipe, you ask? Im sure youll find many variations of the prawn pickle recipe if you searched the web. Ill give you a simple recipe for prawn pickle, which you can style up by adding your personal touch.

Heres what you need to do.
Get These Ingredients
1. King prawns 1 kg
2. White vinegar 750 ml
3. Dry red chilies 2 dozen
4. Turmeric powder 1 teaspoon
5. A piece of ginger of around the size of your thumb.
6. Cumin seeds 4 teaspoons
7. 15-20 cloves of garlic (one large pod)
8. Oil 7 tablespoons
9. Salt
And Follow These Steps
1. Wash the prawns. Ensure that the shell and the main central vein of the prawns are removed. Then dry it using a towel.
2. Rub turmeric powder and salt (according to taste) into the prawns and let this mix marinate for one hour.
3. Create a thick, smooth paste of garlic, ginger, red chilies, and cumin seeds. Add a little vinegar during this process.
4. On a pan that is left to heat on medium flame, add the prawns and stir fry till it turns golden in color. Drain this mix on paper towels and allow it to cool.
5. Now take the paste that you prepared earlier and fry it in 3 tablespoons of oil. Do this till the oil starts to separate from the masala.
6. Add the remaining vinegar into this mix and cook it on medium flame for 15 minutes more. Let it cool completely.
7. Now take a glass pickling jar and place prawns into it.
8. Then introduce the cool spice mix into this jar.
9. Mix the stuff in the jar really well and store it for a few days before you start munching.

Eat this prawn pickle alongside either daal and rice or plain boiled rice. Im sure youll go gaga over the taste, and will have more than just poker face.
If you want to try out our prawn pickle, you should visit picklemasti. There, under Seasonal Pickles, youll find our delectable prawn pickle prepared by authentic pickle makers. PickleMasti is Indias largest online marketplace for buying quality pickles. Place an order for a pickle on the website and wait for it to arrive at your house. Its that simple!