Need help with asparagus

RDRANCH

Chillin' In The Garden
Reaction score
We have some VERY old asparagus coming up in an area where we don't want it. I dug up as much as I could without using a back hoe, and now I have about 20# of long skinny roots without crowns.

Could these be planted elsewhere and still grow, eventhough they have no crown just individual roots about the size of a pencil?

What do you think?:hu

bid

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
I would say no. But then I have never tried it. Any I have ever moved had the crown and not all survived the move. What happened to the crowns?

seedcorn

Garden Master
Reaction score
RDRANCH said:
We have some VERY old asparagus coming up in an area where we don't want it. I dug up as much as I could without using a back hoe, and now I have about 20# of long skinny roots without crowns.

Could these be planted elsewhere and still grow, eventhough they have no crown just individual roots about the size of a pencil?

What do you think?:hu
How did you get the roots w/out the crown? If you get the crown, you can move them. how deep did you dig? Crowns should be 1' or deeper.

RDRANCH

Chillin' In The Garden
Reaction score
They are such a giant tangled mass it's very hard to find the crowns. These were originally planted about 15 years ago.

I picked what I thought looked to be in the best shape and found them a new home where they can either go nuts or die. The balls' in their court now!:)

Latest posts