Need help with bug problem!

Dace

Garden Ornament
Reaction score
I do not know what they are, but first they attacked one of my broccoli plants... mostly on the stalk, little grey bugs and tightly packed together on the stalk. I yanked the plant and put it in the trash...fast forward a month or so, I was watering today and noticed the same little buggers all over the stalks of my asparagus bean plant...yesterday I saw none!
I tried to do a little research but I have no idea what these things are, could they be thrips? How can I get rid of them organically?

Dace

Garden Ornament
Reaction score
No, they are definitely grey, not white, and pack tightly together on the stems. I found some on the underneath of the leaves to but more randomly. They are very very small....so small that I can not even see them move or identify legs etc, but then I have crappy eyes!

I sprayed them with water mixed with a little soap and veg oil. I will take a look and see if I can tel whether or not it killed any of the little buggers.

rebeccakee

Sprout
Reaction score
I had this issue with my peter peppers and had to spray daily with a soapy water mix. But they eventually died off after a week or so.

Its war out there!!!!

Dace

Garden Ornament
Reaction score
I just went out to spray them again and I got a few on my hand...came inside and and put on my reading glasses to get a better look. They are actually a brown color and they range in size from the size of a tiny pin point spot to the head of a pin size. Any ideas? They don't move much just sat on my hand until I washed them off.

I wonder if I should keep spraying or if I should get rid of the plants to keep them from spreading to the rest of my garden.

Any advice?

OaklandCityFarmer

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
They could be aphids. Since they sound like a small soft bodied insect that seem pretty easy to knock off, you could use a strong spray of water to get the off. Or, I would use a soap and pepper spray to get rid of them. Use this in the evening and apply it every 3 days, wash off your plants in between spraying. If that doesn't work an oil based spray may be the next step.

What kind of damage are they causing, btw? If there isn't a huge amount of damage then you shouldn't be too worried about them.

Latest posts