Need help with starting seeds *ADDED MORE PICS* pg. 3

kennedyscochins

Leafing Out
Reaction score
thistlebloom said:
kennedyscochins said:
I have started broccoli seeds, they have sprouted and are doing good. I thought I would work on green bell pepper seeds now. I had an idea to use my small incubator and set the temp at 80 degrees for them to germinate. I turned my humidity off since they have water in the soil. The humidity is still saying 94%. My mom said she thought peppers didn't like a lot of humidity. Any advice on this? It is too cold in my house for pepper seeds. We keep it around 68 inside. This also may be silly, but could I just put a regular heating pad (like the ones for your back) under the pan that has the seeds in it to keep the soil warm or is this crazy?
Ridgerunner has also posted his heat setup on here, which I think is a clever use of tree lights. Look here: http://www.theeasygarden.com/forum/viewtopic.php?id=30814 post #10
He's described how it's built somewhere on TEG...

Here's what I used for my peppers last year because our house gets into the 50's at night and my seeds weren't doing anything:

http://www.theeasygarden.com/forum/uploads/7504_teg_projects003.jpg

Here you can see the thermometer. I just used a sweater box with the little Christmas lights in it. It worked really well for the small amount of peppers I started.

http://www.theeasygarden.com/forum/uploads/7504_teg_projects001.jpg
Great idea! Love it!

kennedyscochins

Leafing Out
Reaction score
Another question: I started my seeds in the jiffy pellet things with the lid on. Once the seeds sprout, I am supposed to remove the dome lid and apply the lights? Is this correct?

lillie

Chillin' In The Garden
Reaction score
I also use a small fan to blow on them for a little while each day. Helps them to develop stronger stems so that they aren't completely knocked over in the slightest breeze once they're outside.

kennedyscochins

Leafing Out
Reaction score
thistlebloom said:
Yes :) . Remember to keep the lights just a few inches above the leaves so they don't get leggy on you.
They got spindly before I got them out of the dome. It was literally 2 days from first sign of sprout to 2-3 inches tall. Now they are leaning. I have the light on them. Will they straighten up?

thistlebloom

Garden Master
Reaction score
kennedyscochins said:
thistlebloom said:
Yes :) . Remember to keep the lights just a few inches above the leaves so they don't get leggy on you.
They got spindly before I got them out of the dome. It was literally 2 days from first sign of sprout to 2-3 inches tall. Now they are leaning. I have the light on them. Will they straighten up?
Are you using something that lights the entire seedbed, like a shop light? Is it just above the leaves but not actually touching? The light needs to be really close to be effective. It's amazing how quickly they will stretch and lean when the light isn't adequate.

Also check to make sure you have bulbs with a high lumen output, that also makes a big difference.

kennedyscochins

Leafing Out
Reaction score
thistlebloom said:
kennedyscochins said:
thistlebloom said:
Are you using something that lights the entire seedbed, like a shop light? Is it just above the leaves but not actually touching? The light needs to be really close to be effective. It's amazing how quickly they will stretch and lean when the light isn't adequate.

Also check to make sure you have bulbs with a high lumen output, that also makes a big difference.
I only have 6 broccoli sprouts going, so I am just using a CFL bulb that has 1600 lumen output. It is hanging about 3 inches above the sprouts. I put the sprouts in a small rubbermaid container that I lined with aluminum foil to reflect the light. Sorry for all these questions, but I spent a lot of money last year on plants and thought I would like to do my own. Plus, I have a 5, 3 and 1 year old that also enjoy the process of planting and watching them grow to harvest!

thistlebloom

Garden Master
Reaction score
It sounds like you're setup is good. Maybe you could post a picture?
Don't be shy about asking questions, it's a learning curve for even seasoned gardeners.
And good on you for starting your own and including your kids in the experience :) .

kennedyscochins

Leafing Out
Reaction score
Okay, I am trying to add pics, but they aren't very good. The sprouts actually look pretty good this morning, but hard to see in the pics.

8805_broccoli.jpg

8805_broccoli_sprouts.jpg

8805_broccoli_1.jpg

chris09

Garden Ornament
Reaction score
kennedyscochins said:
I have started broccoli seeds, they have sprouted and are doing good. I thought I would work on green bell pepper seeds now. I had an idea to use my small incubator and set the temp at 80 degrees for them to germinate. I turned my humidity off since they have water in the soil. The humidity is still saying 94%. My mom said she thought peppers didn't like a lot of humidity. Any advice on this? It is too cold in my house for pepper seeds. We keep it around 68 inside. This also may be silly, but could I just put a regular heating pad (like the ones for your back) under the pan that has the seeds in it to keep the soil warm or is this crazy?
80 for most seeds is to much heat, I start my seeds at 70 in the greenhouse and there up and out of the ground in 4 to 7 days.
Once there about a inch out of the ground I drop the night temp to 68.

- Note -
Low light and high temp will lead to tall and lanky plants

Chris