Need plans for a strawberry planter

JudyMcKinn

Sprout
Reaction score
Anyone have any plans for a strawberry planter that we could build? The kind that is 3 or 4 layers tall? Usually they are round,but I thought we could probably build a wooden one. Any help or suggestions (or plans?) appreciated.

OaklandCityFarmer

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
I don't have any plans to offer, sorry.

But I have seen something that you're talking about. It's about 3 layers with a large box on the bottom and they get smaller as the go up. Like a pyramid.

Saying that, I'm assuming you could build one like a big raised bed not too high, then put one on top of that. I'm thinking to keep them up you should have support posts in each corner as the go up to keep it stable.

Sorry I don't have that much info for you!

JudyMcKinn

Sprout
Reaction score
I guess I will just have to blunder along. I was hoping there might be plans out there that would give me some ideas. For instance, would you make the bottom bed, fill it with dirt, then just set the 2nd, smaller bed on top of the dirt, and then same for the 3rd? This would take a lot of dirt, or should the inside part be empty, built in such a way that you only need dirt in the "troughs" where you will be planting the berries? This is sounding more complicated, the more I think about it. LOL

OaklandCityFarmer

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
I guess you could make a large bottom square and then place a smaller square the same size as the next one up inside the large bottom square and so forth. But then you would have to make a support for the higher levels so the dirt didn't fall through. I'd just go with the 3 box sizes and fill the whole thing with dirt.

Miller Nurseries has a special on a Strawberry Pyramid

I'm sure you could find something that would be easier to buy.

silkiechicken

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
Just out of curiosity, other than being able to pick up the plants and move them, what's the advantage of container grown strawberries? Sounds like a lot of work to keep them watered and then difficult to dump out every few years to replace the soil to "rotate" them.

OaklandCityFarmer

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
Nice work Cassandra!

Well, I guess to answer your question, silkiechicken, it does save room and I don't think we're talking about a massive strawberry pyramid. Most are relatively smaller. You essentially could grow more strawberries in one area an you can put them places you normally couldn't plant strawberries.

I personally don't have one but am now thinking about it after the post Casandra put up.

Tutter

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
Oooo, that's cool, Cassandra; thanks! :)

When I was growing up, we always had a large strawberry pot. It was neat, saved space, and was able to be set places where there was no dirt, such as a bricked area! :)

JudyMcKinn

Sprout
Reaction score
Wow, Cassandra. That is neat. Don't know if we could get all those angles cut without getting a divorce, but worth trying. :p
Looks really neat, doesn't it?

Latest posts