Need some suggestions

seedcorn

Garden Master
Reaction score
Space where lettuce and peas are, will soon be available. No idea what to plant. Suggestions?

Anyone ever started parsnips in container and then transplant to correct location? I've planted them 2X and nothing.

so lucky

Garden Master
Reaction score
I don't know how to get parsnips up either, Seed. But I bet digitS' knows. My cabbage is going to be coming out soon, too, and I need to plant something there. Maybe I will stick in some bush beans. I planted some chard earlier today in a partially empty row. I don't know if it is too late for it, but I thought I would try. I have to either plant stuff or put newspaper and straw over the space, otherwise, grass will take over.

digitS'

Garden Master
Reaction score
My parsnip seed was a little old this year, @seedcorn . It must have had about a 10% germination.

Parsnips are probably like carrots with fairly short term seed viability. They are probably also like carrots in not being such a good choice for transplanting. I have never tried transplanting either.

I've got bush beans following lettuce this year. Then the beans already had their own bed. There are also teepees of pole beans. I hardly need the beans to follow the peas here real soon. I may go with some cucumber starts. They are already out there but there are some more that were started late that could be moved into that bed once the peas won't be needing it.

Steve
Edit: I've put zucchini right in with the early cabbage about this time of year, So Lucky. As the cabbage is harvested, the zucchini takes over the space nicely. I've already got lots of zucchini, for a guy who doesn't really like it ... Also, the early and late cabbages are mixed up in the rows this year ... I don't know why that happened ....

Last edited:

Ridgerunner

Garden Master
Reaction score
Seed, it would be easier if I knew your climate better. I've got more options down here because frost if further away. I think it is probably too early for your fall garden, if you do one of those. I'd think summer squash or zucchini would still make for you and should germinate pretty well in the heat. Bush beans for green beans is probably a good idea too. That's about all I can think of.

So Lucky, I'd think you still have time for potatoes, snap beans, fall tomatoes if you can find plants, black eyed peas, cucumbers, pumpkins, winter squash, or summer squash. I haven't taken my cabbage plants out yet either, they do such a good job of keeping the weeds and grass down that I hate to pull them. I am giving cabbage leaves to the chickens so they are slowly coming out.

Latest posts