Need suggestions for evergreens

The Chicken Lady

Chillin' In The Garden
Reaction score
I'd like to plant some evergreens in-between our and our neighbor's house to serve as a windbreak/privacy screen and as a winter sanctuary for wild birds. There are too many choices, so I'd love some help!! :)

What are your suggestions for an evergreen tree that has the "classic" Christmas tree look, grows fairly quickly, and has a maximum height of around 20-25 feet? I'm not really a fan of cedar trees.

lesa

Garden Master
Reaction score
Since, you don't like cedar, you probably won't choose them... I was going to mention that deer LOVE them and they aren't worth planting if you have those critters around...The DEC sells 1-2 year old seedlings really cheap in the spring. Don't know how patient you are- maybe you would prefer something bigger? The trees I have purchased from them, have wonderful root systems and have all done wonderfully- even in the chicken yard...They have several types to choose from...Good luck!

Ridgerunner

Garden Master
Reaction score
I'm not sure how Leyland Cypress will do in your area and they get taller than you specify, but I'd suggest looking at them. They are fast-growing for an evergreen and are not pine trees.

Rosalind

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
There's some blue spruce varieties out nowadays that only get about that height--sort of a semidwarf spruce. They have a nice holiday look to them, I think, and can be trimmed to hedge-like shapes if you prefer. "Baby Blue," Globe spruce, "Thume," all get about that height.

Sylvie

Garden Ornament
Reaction score
I love Canadian Hemlocks (Tsuga canadensis)for the look, scent and grace. I have kept mine clipped with good success. Eventually they will get large like the others mentioned but not as quickly.

Hollies, Arborvitae are two more.

patandchickens

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
Sorry, but "fast-growing" and "stays under 25 ft" are mutually exclusive.

You will need to relax one or both or all three of your requirements, I'm afraid.

If you can decide which one(s) you're willing to compromise on, I could make some suggestions.

Good luck, have fun,

Pat