Need tips on Succulents.

r4eboxer

Chillin' In The Garden
Reaction score
I have a rock retaining wall that keeps our creek in check. It's a 12 ft wall that is approx 150 ft long, the creek usually only has 2 feet of water running through it (unless it's the wet season or we get large rains). I want to plant succulents all over the wall in the cracks.

I will need a large amount of succulents so I'm wondering how hard they are to start from seed?

lesa

Garden Master
Reaction score
I've never started any from seed....but, you may want to place an ad on Craigslist, and watch garage sales. I have purchased hens and chicks, very cheaply from both sources...

catjac1975

Garden Master
Reaction score
r4eboxer said:
I have a rock retaining wall that keeps our creek in check. It's a 12 ft wall that is approx 150 ft long, the creek usually only has 2 feet of water running through it (unless it's the wet season or we get large rains). I want to plant succulents all over the wall in the cracks.

I will need a large amount of succulents so I'm wondering how hard they are to start from seed?
Nothing beats sedum. I found one wild sprig when I moved into my home 30 years ago. I put it everywhere. It keeps the weeds down and when I want to plant something else I yank it our and throw it to a new spot. It has a lovely yellow flower for a couple weeks, keeps low to the ground and is easy to get rid of if you want to. I have purchased a more hybridized variety and it does not flourish the way the old fashioned one does.

http://www.onemansgarden.com/june2009-garden/Images/12.jpg

http://1.bp.blogspot.com/_Oyjs043Crqg/SC-SpOwPRtI/AAAAAAAABow/H9yniwW4o8c/s400/2008+Sedum+Acre.jpg

897tgigvib

Garden Master
Reaction score
Succulents from seed. Hmmm, maybe Thompson and Morgan has some. Maybe Whatcom online.

Ya know, a lot of the succulents start SO easy that dropping a leaf on dirt might make a plant all on its own without any help.

May want to hit up a nursery and purchase one each of that kind. Make sure it is good for your zone. Hen and chicks . Each one makes 5 to 10 new ones in a year, and are easy as pie to propagate. Truly, a 3 year old can do it. Some of them are good for zone Mars, long as it is in the sun and it thaws sometimes. Others are more tender.

Let me know where you got succulent seed

I'd be guessing that to start them, use cactus mix, and probably warm enough for Pepper seeds to sprout them. Probably use a glass cover off and on until they sprout. They may be slow to sprout?

nachoqtpie

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
I've started cacti from seed before. Its not overly hard, but it can take FOREVER! If you want succulents you can usualy take a piece and stick it in the ground and it will take. My neighbor gave me these lovely little succulents that I call baby toes because they are just long and slender leaves and they bloom pink flowers! All I have todo to propogate more is to break some off and stick it in the ground! I would try that route before going to seeds

luvmygoose

Sprout
Reaction score
catjac1975 said:
r4eboxer said:

Nothing beats sedum. I found one wild sprig when I moved into my home 30 years ago. I put it everywhere. It keeps the weeds down and when I want to plant something else I yank it our and throw it to a new spot. It has a lovely yellow flower for a couple weeks, keeps low to the ground and is easy to get rid of if you want to. I have purchased a more hybridized variety and it does not flourish the way the old fashioned one does.

http://www.onemansgarden.com/june2009-garden/Images/12.jpg

http://1.bp.blogspot.com/_Oyjs043Crqg/SC-SpOwPRtI/AAAAAAAABow/H9yniwW4o8c/s400/2008+Sedum+Acre.jpg
I think I have sedum growing at the top of the wall already. My in-laws have lived on this farm for over 60 years and I think my MIL planted sedum (though I did not know that is what is was until now) where my FIL poured some concrete when he built the rock wall. I think I will take the advice of marshalsmyth and nachoqtpie and propogate from leaves.

Thanks lesa for the tip on craigslist and yardsales. I will start looking there and then propogate more from the leaves. I'd really like to have some color and variety in the wall so with the sedum I hope to get a really lovely look. :watering

Latest posts