need to rehome small flock of chickens

Chickie'sMomaInNH

Garden Master
Reaction score
i got a call from a friend who has a friend in need of re-homing her small flock of about 6 chickens. sounds like 3 hens and a rooster about 2 years old and 2 young birds hatched in august. the rooster and 1 of the hens are Australorps, there's 1 Rhode Island Red hen and my friend kept saying the 3rd hen is a Columbian but i'm not sure if she was referring to the color pattern or if she got the breed mixed up.

The lady who has them was buying a house with land, but that plan fell through and where she's currently living in she needs to be out of there soon. her temporary residence is too small to keep her coop and obviously she doesn't want to overstep her bounds having a noisy rooster in a crowded neighborhood till she finds the right place.

i really don't have room to take any more large birds in my coop. adding them during the winter would just be harmful to someone, probably the roosters i currently have. :( i would want to quarantine them from my flock too and i just don't have the time or space to keep a second coop this time of year.

if anyone is near Rochester, NH and you are interested you can PM me and i can get you some contact info. this lady wants all birds to go to the same home.

Chickie'sMomaInNH

Garden Master
Reaction score
not yet. i haven't been on BYC for some time. too busy over there most things get buried quickly. i should have asked a coworker today if she would be interested, but i think she said she couldn't have roosters.

i'm reconsidering taking them to help her out. i could really use some larger egg layers in my flock. however, the rooster i don't need another :rolleyes:

Smithyard Farm

Chillin' In The Garden
Reaction score
Let me know if she gets in a bind. Turkeys are being processed next weekend, then I will have room, but I really don't want the roo either.

I am in Pembroke just south of concord. Are her birds tested?

Chickie'sMomaInNH

Garden Master
Reaction score
i don't think her flock is P&T tested. i've never had a problem having new birds tested in my flock as long as you keep them quarantined. however, i haven't been selling hatching eggs, chicks or birds from my flock so it isn't like keeping them untested is a bad thing for a short time period till i can get it done again. its MG and MS that are running rampant and most people don't pay to have those tests done. i've been trying to keep a closed flock

Latest posts