Neurotic Canines

Beekissed

Garden Master
Reaction score
I have the ultrasonic deer deterrent thingies on either end of my garden and the dog is completely unaffected. Doesn't even seem to notice them...neither do the chickens or cats. The deer, on the other hand and quite surprisingly, seemed to not like them at all.

Beekissed

Garden Master
Reaction score
Are you sure its not the dogs deer don't like ?

Very sure. One dog is tied on a run far from the garden and the flower beds in front of the house and the other dog couldn't even go down by the flower beds(and he likes the deer and they seem to like him)....but one of those deterrent ultrasonic gadgets saved my rose bushes from being grazed to the ground.

They also saved my son's garden in town, where there is a whole herd of deer in his neighborhood and him having the only garden. No one else even bothers to plant flowers around there, as the deer cannot be stopped. But they stopped at Joel's garden after we put up the deer deterrents.

Then the deer were getting into MY garden, so I put one of those on either end and no more deer in the garden...no more deer even trimming up the beans on the fenceline of the garden.

I never thought they would work but they seem to do so.

so lucky

Garden Master
Reaction score
I just checked on Pet MD, which said dogs sometimes lick the air when under stress, like too much noise or activity. Other reasons are to try to take in the odor of something different to them. Also, mouth pain or nausea. I know Penny licks her lips and the air a lot if she gets something stuck in her teeth.
She also licks the air a lot if I scratch her back, near her tail.

Latest posts