Never done cuttings before

desertcat

Attractive To Bees
Reaction score
I know taking cuttings isn't supposed to be a big deal, but I've never had the desire to try...until now. I've got a scented geranium that doesn't look like it's going to make through until spring and I really like it.

So, after I take a cutting, do I a) put in potting soil, or b) put it in water until I see roots?

I'm sure I'm over thinking the whole process and I know the world as we know it will not end if I goof, but sure would appreciate some advice from those who do this frequently.

lesa

Garden Master
Reaction score
Personally, I would try both. I usually have better luck getting things to root in water first. If you put it into dirt- make a little tent with a plastic bag to hold in the moisture. You can't really go wrong- one of them is bound to root. Think spring!!

HiDelight

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
they are very easy to start from cuttings just dip them in rooting hormone and then put them in dirt ..keep it damp not soggy and you want to get a good snip with a few nodes on it

I love scented geraniums there are so many varieties!

HunkieDorie23

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
I know that this is an older thread but I was wanting to do this. I know you can do it with mums. I saw it on a garden news bit but haven't tried it. Can you get the root hormone at lowes or home depot?

vfem

Garden Addicted
Reaction score
I bought mine at home Depot in the garden center.

hoodat

Garden Addicted
Reaction score
You find it in most garden centers but sometimes it's easy to overlook. It comes in a small bottle that can get hidden on a shelf. Rootone is the best know brand but there are others.

aquarose

Garden Ornament
Reaction score
I read something long ago about something in willow that stimulates rooting. If you have any willows on your property, cut some young twigs and put them in a glass of water, then put your cutting in the glass too, and it should root a lot quicker than water alone.

Latest posts