New at this and late in the season, but thinking about...

EggsForIHOP

Leafing Out
Reaction score
starting a garden! A small one, maybe some pumpkins, tomatoes, squash - nothing major....just curious what others think...

I am REALLY on a kick this year with the homegrown stuff, as we moved here to the country (north of houston tx) this time last year and I never had a chance to get anything going....

So really, what do other people think? I know I am thinking that even if it is late, it stays warm here until like October...so I have a pretty good shot at getting something to grow...Hmmmmm...any thoughts from people that know what they are doing? I have a very small clue, that's it, all I know is dig hole, seed in dirt, water and wait...

Thanks in advance!

call ducks

Chillin' In The Garden
Reaction score
EggsForIHOP said:
starting a garden! A small one, maybe some pumpkins, tomatoes, squash - nothing major....just curious what others think...

I am REALLY on a kick this year with the homegrown stuff, as we moved here to the country (north of houston tx) this time last year and I never had a chance to get anything going....

So really, what do other people think? I know I am thinking that even if it is late, it stays warm here until like October...so I have a pretty good shot at getting something to grow...Hmmmmm...any thoughts from people that know what they are doing? I have a very small clue, that's it, all I know is dig hole, seed in dirt, water and wait...

Thanks in advance!
Hello,

I am just planting my garden, not to late at all! All tho things would be a good starting garden. Of course you would have to seek advice from some of your local gardeners, there may be some on TEG.

Wildsky

Garden Ornament
Reaction score
EggsForIHOP said:

Thanks in advance!
My season is even shorter than yours and I'm still planting stuff, I am planting a little every week so I will have stuff to harvest every week - things like carrots, broccoli and cauliflower...

You might be able to buy plants already started!

digitS'

Garden Master
Reaction score
For any gardener, maybe especially for those in the south, the question is, "At what time will seedlings burn up in the heat?"

You can avoid some of the problem by setting out started plants, especially if they can be protected from the sun a little after transplanting. A plant that has already been exposed to sunlight for a couple of weeks of hardening-off and that has an established root system has a better chance of surviving hot weather. A seedling that comes up overnight to face 14 hours of blazing sun and 100 will probably not last the day. Or, if they can survive a few weeks of hot, dry weather - they may just bolt to seed and their season would be over.

There's also the concern that the seeds of some veggies will not even germinate. Lettuce and spinach seed must be sown just below the soil surface. With daytime highs of 100, I don't think there's any chance that either would even sprout.

TEG has several Texas gardeners, I hope one of them sees your post and can advise you. I live in a much shorter season location. I have to be concerned about the end of the growing season arriving before some plants reach maturity but I don't think you would be short of time, just short of optimum conditions for starting from seed.

Steve

journey11

Garden Master
Reaction score
Go to your county ag extension agent and see if they have a calendar of what to plant when for your area (mine does). They can also advise you on varieties that do great under your growing conditions and just about anything else you want to know about gardening in TX.

I'm sure you're not too late to plant *something* right now, and even if you have to wait a little bit you can still be preparing to plant some fall crops. I lived in Killeen for awhile and they had blistering hot, dry summers there. I had a tough time growing grass there!

BTW, :welcome ! :)

dragonlaurel

Attractive To Bees
Reaction score
I don't know if you have had a garden before, but some plants like growing in the heat, others prefer cooler weather. Your best bets now might be buying starts of tomatoes, peppers, squashes, melons and maybe eggplants, and beans.
Towards the end of summer, you can plant stuff that likes cooler weather, to harvest in the fall or early winter. Cabbage family, most salad stuff, beets, chard, radishes ... Some veggies may grow all winter with protection.
Your extension office will be able to give lots of info on their site, or talk to them.
http://texasextension.tamu.edu/

elf

Attractive To Bees
Reaction score
I think your safest bets are yellow squash and green beans. They make in no time and can take heat. Lotta things in hot climates will grow now but be bitter/strong tasting.

vfem

Garden Addicted
Reaction score
ducks4you said:
:welcome, EggsForIHOP !
Green beans, Eggplant, tomatoes and squashes would be great... its the perfect time to put in pumpkins! :D

Enjoy your garden, better late then never I say!!!

Broke Down Ranch

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
Hi EggsForIHOP! Welcome to The Easy Garden!

I am north of you not far from Waco. If you can find already started plants, then the bigger the better. Steve is correct about our Texas heat will zap baby plants. Today's projected high is 98 so I'm sure you may even be hotter. If you can't find already started, larger plants (and bury those roots DEEP) I would suggest waiting to do a fall garden. Buy some tomato seeds of tomato types that have a short days to maturity. Lettuce and spinach would probably be best to wait until cooler weather for sure then it would almost survive the winter down your way.

So just look for the biggest, healthiest plants you can find or possibly wait to start a fall garden. Our summer heat kills even some of the best, strongest plants......

Latest posts