New corns of note

Jack Holloway

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
About that Floriani Red:

No guarantees that ..

. Seedcorn's blender technique will work on a flint corn ;).
Yep, but I'm gonna try and grow it! for $4.00, pretty cheap to get a lot of seed to try with. If it doesn't work out, I'm out the cost of a pop. And since I quit drinking pop, no problem.

meadow

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
@meadow - Thanks for mentioning the Cob tips & butts. I think, I ordered two kinds to try.
Oh boy! Please let us know what you think of it. [eta: oops! I see that you will be planting it. 😅]

I've discovered some older seed that I'd forgotten: Mandan Bride and Hooker's Sweet Indian Corn. Looks like I'll be doing a lot of hand pollination this year! Not sure where I'm going to put it, other than perhaps a 2-sisters approach with winter squash. Or break new ground. 😏

Zeedman

Garden Master
Reaction score
Wot?! Cob tips & butts? 😲 What a great idea! Have you sampled the Floriani Red Flint yet?
:lol: No, not yet. The tips & butts are meant for eating, to sample a corn variety before deciding to order seed. An interesting strategy, although I question whether that seed would be worth growing (and after shipping, it would be pricey cornmeal). The only reason I linked that particular company is that they have a good photo of the support roots.

Corn crops for the next two seasons are already planned, so I won't be ordering the Floriani Red Flint for a while yet.

Last edited:

Latest posts