New discovery: What should i do with all these muscadine vines????

AmyRey

Garden Ornament
Reaction score
The color. Muscadines are purple. Scuppernongs are brown, gold or greenish.

cwhit590

Garden Ornament
Reaction score
Ok...wasn't sure exactly what a muscadine was....so I googled muscadines - Vitis rotundifolia - and found they are a type of grape native to the South...

...NOW I'm wondering what they taste like??? :idunno

PunkinPeep

Garden Ornament
Reaction score
cwhit590 said:
Ok...wasn't sure exactly what a muscadine was....so I googled muscadines - Vitis rotundifolia - and found they are a type of grape native to the South...

I've heard conflicting reports on this. I haven't had any myself, and no one else has responded, so i'll throw in the 2 cents or so i have gleaned.

They're thick skinned, with one or more big seeds inside, and the flesh might be a little less solid than the grape we usually think of. Many people use them to make jams and pies and that sort of thing. Others say they eat them right off the vine, but might have to bite a hole in the skin to suck out the flesh. ;)

Sweetness seems to vary by strain - i think. :hu

Broke Down Ranch

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
The ones I have growing are tart-sweet. Pretty small with only 1 big seed inside. The skin doesn't seem to be much different from a commercial grape. Folks in these parts make jams and wine with muscadines....

beefy

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
cwhit590 said:

taste like grapes!

vfem

Garden Addicted
Reaction score
I make muscadine jelly and its one of my best sellers.... its GREAT stuff. It makes the best juice, jelly and wine there is. If you are interested in wine making... one of the most popular southern wines out there is DuplinCountyWinery.com and they sell only muscadine wines.

Its the best find for you EVER (so far anyways) I'm super duper jealous!!!!!!

PunkinPeep

Garden Ornament
Reaction score
vfem said:
I make muscadine jelly and its one of my best sellers.... its GREAT stuff. It makes the best juice, jelly and wine there is. If you are interested in wine making... one of the most popular southern wines out there is DuplinCountyWinery.com and they sell only muscadine wines.

Its the best find for you EVER (so far anyways) I'm super duper jealous!!!!!!
I'm just hoping that they produce actual grapes! But if they do, you can bet i will be cooking up a storm with them! :D

cwhit590

Garden Ornament
Reaction score
beefy said:
cwhit590 said:

taste like grapes!
:th

Latest posts