New forum topic idea

jmk3482

Chillin' In The Garden
Reaction score
I wanted to suggest that you add a topic to the index called Germinating Seeds. Because a lot of gardeners grow from seeds and I know it can give a lot of newbies problems if it isn't done right. Thanks.

mamaspider

Leafing Out
Reaction score
could we also have one for herbs? i'm not sure they fit anywhere else...

and I already have the first question - what is the best way (or is there one) to transplant rosemary? I have a some big ones I don't want to part with, but am afraid if I try to dig them up they'll die... I know the better option is probably to just start fresh with some rooted offshoots, but... has anyone tried to move a large rosemary bush (they're about 3.5'x3') before and what were the results?

Thanks!
jean

chickenboy8

Chillin' In The Garden
Reaction score
My grandma has a big rosemary bush. She gave me some we just choped sections off. They did fine in our garden hope this helps.

chickenboy8

Chillin' In The Garden
Reaction score
You probaly could did around it. Is long as you get anough roots it should grow fine.

Nifty

Garden Addicted
Administrator
Reaction score
Good suggestions! As always we'll evaluate the suggestion, especially as we see more and more threads started about these topics.

mamaspider

Leafing Out
Reaction score
sorry jmk - didn't mean to steal the thread! based on the trays I have going right now some beautiful, some tragic, I could definitely use some seed starting help myself! :)

j

edited because apparently i need spelling and typing help, too!

jmk3482

Chillin' In The Garden
Reaction score
That's okay, I think an herb topic would be good as well because I like using fresh herbs. But If you need some help with seed starting I have some tips that might help. I'm trying to start some seeds myself and I was having a heck of a time getting them to go. I bought one of those Jiffy mini greenhouse kits; which is just a tray filled will those little dehydrated peat pods and it's got a clear plastic lid. The first time I tried it a couple months ago, the seeds took FOREVER to germinate and then they would get tall and skinny and then die. They never even got any of their true leaves on them. I knew I was doing something wrong becuase even my marigold seeds were dying. And marigolds are the easiest plant ever to grow. I have the tray in a back room without a window but I have a grow light on them and I was keeping them moist. But the pods even got mold on them!!! So, I finally figured out that the problem was the tempurature of the soil. So I put a heating pad under the tray and set it on low. Then I take the lid off for a little while every day so they don't get moldy but I make sure they are moist.

Let me tell you, that did the trick! I just restarted all my seeds last weekend and half of them have already germinated. I can't wait for them to get thier true leaves!!:watering

mamaspider

Leafing Out
Reaction score
hey, thanks for the tip - I will certainly try the heating pad idea! I have had the same problems... too wet or not wet enough and some trays never get past the baby leaves...

j

joebwe25

Leafing Out
Reaction score
We can call the new sections "Herbs and Spices", and "Germinating and growing seeds "!
What do we all think???
What do YOU think nifty?

Latest posts