New fruit tree trick

Rosalind

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
I have many apple trees in my orchard that had been badly chewed by deer before I installed the fence. Some were rare varieties that are no longer offered anywhere, yet there were sparks of life left, so I kept them. Quality bittersharp cider apples, without a hint of sugar, are really really hard to find.

After two years of fussing, fertilizing, mulching, wrapping, wassailing, spraying and pleading, some came back. Unfortunately, they came back as 100% watersprouts.

Given the trees' history, I was not about to trim off these watersprouts in February. It wasn't as if there were any more productive branches left, those had all been eaten by The Great Venison Invasion.

Cracking open my elderly botany books, I found that watersprouts are caused by gibberellin production due to cold temps, such as the long chilly spring/summer we just had. I could spray TBZ to inhibit the gibberellins, or I could figure out a natural way to inhibit gibberellin production.

Gibberellins are produced in root nodules, especially in leguminous plants; plants nearby legumes, such as fruit trees with clover ground covers underneath, can be sensitive to gibberellins produced by the clover. So if you, say, dump a wheelbarrow-load of pine shaving/chicken litter around the dripline, this will provide adequate nitrogen for the tree, smother the clover right there, keep the roots warmish, and acidulate the top layer of soil just enough to keep the root nodules from getting too frisky in a single year.

Also, I trimmed off just the last 2 inches of watersprout to remove the source of auxins and encourage side growth from these crummy branches.

Amazingly, my watersprouts have, this year, become reasonable-looking branches with lotsa little twigs and spurs. In other words, I'm looking forward to fruit from them now. Hopefully I can lay off the chicken litter mulch if we have a decently warm summer, and the clover will supply enough nitrogen once more.

journey11

Garden Master
Reaction score
Good info, Rosalind!

It's been my experience that given enough time a watersprout can eventually become a really productive branch. Removing the tip does stop it from rocketing upward. I'm glad you could save your irreplacable trees! :)

jojo54

Garden Ornament
Reaction score
Can you graft then onto another less desirable tree? When we moved here a year ago, we found one tree with five kinds of apples growing on it. There was an old gentleman who used to live here in BC and moved back to Portugal. Every year, he would come back to prune trees in the area. He was back this year for the last time he said (he's in his 80s) and we were lucky enough to hire him for a couple of days to prune all our trees and grapes and to instruct on what to do in the future. He showed us how to graft and said you can do it on different kinds of fruit trees. Maybe this would be how you can say your more precious and rare varities. Each branch that was grafted comes true to the king of fruit you grafted onto it. It might be worth a try. :idunno

Rosalind

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
Yeah... *sigh* I even ordered grafting rootstock to arrive this past spring, but because the company I ordered it from did not bother to staff their customer service department with anyone who had a clue about trees, they didn't bother to ship my rootstocks until May, after a series of increasingly concerned emails. When it was too late. I am not a fan of Raintree Nursery for this reason... :(

journey11

Garden Master
Reaction score
I would LOVE to know more about grafting and get brave enough to give it a try. Just think what you could do with that skill!

I've heard you can make your own rootstock using crabapple or other suitable apple species. That would really be something to look into. Probably save you lots of money and aggravation.

Hattie the Hen

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
:frow :frow

Rosalind, your information was very interesting & congratulations on saving a special tree.

I thought this link might also interest you as it might help speed up fruit production on your little branches.

http://www.weekendgardener.net/tree-information/notching-buds-120912.htm

I am going to try it on a plum & two morello cherry trees that are not producing enough fruit lately.

:rose Hattie :rose

Rosalind

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
Hattie, that's perfect! Thank you! I especially love the pics at the bottom of the espaliered trees, they are wonderful.

I have one apple in particular I want to try notching. Stupid thing survived the Great Venison Invasion of 2007 with hardly any damage, has what should be very good, twiggy, productive branches, has been dormant-oiled and mulched and fertilized and greensanded and meticulously pruned, and nada. Lazy tree! Trees right next to it, a whole year younger, did a very respectable amount of fruit for their size, but this dumb thing just laughed and made leaves.

Hattie the Hen

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score

journey,

Yes, I thought so too! I had never heard of it before. I was completely fascinated & I can't wait to try it ( but of course I have to)......!!

This is what I love about TEG -- the sharing of little clues, experience, information & enthusiasm about our gardening (& related) projects. Long may it thrive .... :love

cwhit590

Garden Ornament
Reaction score
Hattie the Hen said:

Rosalind, your information was very interesting & congratulations on saving a special tree.

I thought this link might also interest you as it might help speed up fruit production on your little branches.

http://www.weekendgardener.net/tree-information/notching-buds-120912.htm

I am going to try it on a plum & two morello cherry trees that are not producing enough fruit lately.

That IS fascinating! Thanks for sharing Hattie.

Latest posts