New garden ornaments and some stuff is growing-finally!! (Pics)

COgirl

Garden Ornament
Reaction score
I got nine new garden ornaments today. Not only are they decorative but functional as well.

Millie Fleur d'uccles
5005_100_1609.jpg

They are itty bitty
5005_100_1616.jpg

Finally some growing stuff
My first clematis bloom
5005_100_1595.jpg

Pumpkins
5005_100_1597.jpg

Garlic
5005_100_1596.jpg

Tomato
5005_100_1606.jpg

Three Sisters
5005_100_1601.jpg

Things are so far behind for the end of June. The itty bitties will have their own coop in the garden area and I hope that they will not be as destructive as the standard size chickens.

karanleaf

Garden Ornament
Reaction score
Ohhhh :love I love Millie Fleurs they are soo pretty :clap

Your garden looks good :thumbsup

But, yes Reinbeau is right, keep you new little fuzzy garden ornaments out of the garden... :gig They are cute :love

:happy_flower Karan :D

Hattie the Hen

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
:frow Hi there :frow

I love your little chicks -- my 5 Dorking chicks are 6weeks old now & already pretty big -- they grow so fast!!!

I collect clematis so it's great to see yours! :happy_flower What is the variety called? Your veggies are looking very healthy.

Happy Gardening! :happy_flower

:rose Hattie :rose

COgirl

Garden Ornament
Reaction score
Hi Hattie :frow
Wish I could remember the name but I'm sure it is something common, I was very happy that they bloomed since I moved the poor things twice last fall!!

Reinbeau and karanleaf :frow
The chickies will be used in the garden spring and fall for tilling purposes their main area area will be off the gardens so we can sit and watch them, since they are so little we can give them a fenced area roughly 50x30 and it will almost be like free ranging for them at least that is the plan right now :rainbow-sun

Greensage45

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
Beautiful babes,

I remember my first Mille chicks, I was fortunate to get a boy and a girl.
2itqv44.jpg

One thing that is awkward is they grow 8-inch long feet feathering. So when they moult and put on a new set they are very clumsy and they trip over everything trying to get around. Eventually over several weeks the feathers get worn down to a manageable length of roughly 2 inches and they are tough. My rooster was pampered and babied and then he grew up to be a flogging rooster LOL :/ I had to literally sneak around one side of the house while he was not looking otherwise he would come flying out of nowhere at 100 mph.
34zhjph.jpg

He finally smacked my face one day and then he stood off with my neighbor's 9-year-old daughter.....so he was finally planted under a tree. I love that tree. :cool: I have two of his daughters and the Momma just passed away at 7 years old; my Matriarch of chicken keeping.
206egsm.jpg

I wanted to ask about your garlic (awesome garden plots!) I especially love the Three Sisters. Anyway, the garlic, do you use a straw covering like that for moisture retention or keeping the bulb cool? Have you done this with good results in the past? This year is my first garlic year, and I half-expected them to become monsters in less time than blinking, but they are thin strips of greenery and they seem very tender. My garlic are going on 2.5 months. I have always assumed garlic would be a heat loving plant. Could be that I am still early in this as garlic is generally thought of as a Fall crop.

I really cannot wait to see updated pictures. My garden pics are at about 30 day intervals and I should be posting new pics within two weeks.

Cool gardening!

Ron

COgirl

Garden Ornament
Reaction score
Hi Ron :frow
Well I'm not going to be much help as this is my first year with garlic also. My plants kept appearing to dry out badly (before all the rain) so that is why I mulched them. I planted in March and the plants have probably tripled in height. I really have no clue what to expect :idunno. Love the pics of your Mille :rainbow-sun

Hattie the Hen

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
Hi there :frow

I'm a first time garlic-grower too! mine look & sound like yours -- so I don't feel quite so alone any more. One of my neighbours is growing it too but they don't believe in watering much & theirs looks awful -- in fact it looks dead to me. ;)

I can see on some of mine that that it's bulking out at the base but not as much as I expected. Maybe that's due to the late start this spring! :idunno

We have had a week of very hot & dry weather which has certainly bought everything along very fast. I have been watering VERY EARLY in the mornings -- about 5am......!! Virtually all my 50 tomato plants have set fruit. :woot My corn has doubled in height & is looking good & strong. My chillies (another first for me) are looking good & strong SO :fl :fl !!!!!!

Happy Gardening everyone!

:rose Hattie :rose

Greensage45

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
OMG Hattie, you forgot to put the pictures on there! :D:D

Ron