New Gardener- HELP - re: Seed Starting

lisasGarden

Leafing Out
Reaction score
I am having a terrible time starting plants from seeds. This is my first year trying to start from seeds and I really wish I had a someone to show me how to do this. I have tried to read books and how tos on the internet. However, I have made a complete disaster of it so far. Now I am afraid it is too late in the season to retry. Here is my story on what I have done so far. PLEASE HELP!

I bought a lot of really great seeds online. The germination rate was really good. I bought little jiffy biodegradable pots along with Jiffy starter seed mix. Then I bought storage containers and put a fluorescent light bulb on each of the containers. I had this all plugged into a light timer set for 10 hours of light each day. However, I didnt realize that I had the timer set to ON. So for the first 7 or so days the plants were getting continuous light. I was wondering why they were growing so fast....yikes. Also I read that I should be watering from below, but the jiffy seed mix doesnt seem to want to soak up the water. The plants were doing so poorly (none of them would stand up) that I decided to plant them into my garden as the weather here in north Georgia has been wonderful. It was 85 degrees yesterday. While planting them I noticed that the soil in the pods were completely dry in the middle. This tells me that my watering system (soaking up from below) is not working.

Two days later all my plants are dead. What should I do, start over with seeds indoors or sow directly outdoors. Any help would be greatly appreciated!

These pictures were taken in the beginning before the plants started falling over. I am thinking the plants grew too fast. I am wondering if my system is good and I just need to start over without 24/7 lighting or if I need a totally new system? It being April do I just put the rest of the seeds outdoors?

7311_img_1274.jpg

7311_img_1278.jpg

7311_img_1279.jpg

AmyRey

Garden Ornament
Reaction score
lisasGarden said:
Now I am afraid it is too late in the season to retry.
I don't think there's such a thing as "too late" in Georgia. :)

Going to read the rest of your post now.

Okay - a disclaimer first - I am not an expert, I don't play one on TV and I have NEVER stayed in a Holiday Inn Express so the following advice may be about as good as the keyboard ink it was printed with.

The good points that I see: You did a fantastic job labeling! :D

The "needs improvement" areas: Your enclosed bins - They're fine when seeds are still germinating but as soon as shoots appear, those puppies need air.

Lots of folks here are really down on the Jiffy peat pots. I haven't had much luck with them myself in the past but it wasn't until I came here that I realized why. They kept drying out SUPER fast. It was nearly impossible to keep an even level of dampness. The plants were either soaking wet or dry as a bone.

Your lighting set up could use some adjustments. The bulb should be REALLY close to the leaves (like almost touching). A light that's too far away will cause your babies to stretch and get lanky. The bulb you're using may not work either. Most people use florescent tubes (like shop lights). I will defer to the experts on this one. I really don't think your 24 hour days at first was a HUGE problem. Not the way most do it, but I don't see it being all that detrimental.

And lastly, when you transplanted your babies outside, you did so in one fell swoop. 85 and sunny seems nice to us, but to a tender seedling, it's murder. Wind, direct sun, changing temps... it's all so different from the nice, even mild environment indoors. There is a process called "hardening off" - a search here will yield tons of results, no doubt - that MUST be done or you'll wind up with lifeless seedling bodies scattered among your garden beds. I, too, talked myself into leaving off this step this year. I got a bunch of dead cucumbers and okra to show for it. lol

Your labeling though... that's top notch. ;)

vfem

Garden Addicted
Reaction score
Though I like your set up, the lights on a timer are wonderful, those lids are causing such issues as poor air circulation and causing the moisture in the bins to build up and 'steam' the plants.

The cause of death is probably dampening off. Everything wilts and gets dark in color as it dies from the roots struggling with too much intense humidity.

Is there a way you could add fans in the room and set the lights so they are not needing the lids?

i_am2bz

Chillin' In The Garden
Reaction score
Wow, I'm sorry you had such poor results after all that hard work. :(

My plan also was to start everything from seed this year, either directly or starting inside with peat pots & seed starter. Of those in the pots, the cukes did the best. The broc came up but are spindly. The 'maters & peppers - pfffft!! I had to start them both over. Based on info I read about here, I put the pots in trays with electric heating pads underneath (wasn't set up to use lights). That seemed to help, they finally germinated but won't be large enough to transplant when I want them (IMO), so I'll end up having to buy 'mater & pepper seedlings. :tongue

You're right, I didn't have much luck watering from underneath, either. :/

Now let's see what the experts here have to say! :pop

mare

Leafing Out
Reaction score
Seeds need the humidity to help in germination, however once you see leaves pop up remove the container lids so there is air circulation. Too much humidity will lead to dampening off which will kill seedlings.

Also the light needs to be 1-3" away from the seedlings so that they do not become long and spindly. I have my lights on for 14hrs every day.

I have always watered from above and never had any problems.

Lastly before planting them out to their permanent place they need to be hardened off. A week before you decide to plant them out place the plants outside for a few hours each day. They should be kept out of direct sunlight and wind while they are getting used to their new surroundings.

I hope this helps and Good Luck!!

lesa

Garden Master
Reaction score
You are in Georgia- Celebrate! Get yourself some more seeds and direct plant them. You've got plenty of time. When you direct seed, you have no worries about hardening off. Go for it! Happy Gardening!

lisasGarden

Leafing Out
Reaction score
Thanks everyone for your advice. I am off to Home depot to revise my seed starting system, just to make sure it works for next year. I am going to direct plant the seeds too. Will let you know how it works out.

stepstephens2

Chillin' In The Garden
Reaction score
I found that a squirt bottle with warmish water is the best way to water until you get about an inch of growth... then switch over to bottom watering. Also, as strange as this sounds, you need to exercise your little plants so that they are strong and will harden off more easily. You can use an oscillating fan or simply run your hand over them lightly every hour or so while you have the lights on. Also, with most plants it is better not to transplant until you have the second set of true leaves. Those first leaves you are seeing are really just leaves to get the plants started, they fall off as soon as the plant gets regular leaves going. Good luck!:)

muffy

Sprout
Reaction score
I agree with a bunch of people on here on many differant points..I have never used lights, so I won't go there, bottom heat is wonderful..jiffy mix and pots are almost sure death.

Hardening off is very important..before you plant out..take your seedlings out side for a few hours each daY,,if there is no threat of freezing..possibly leave them out overnight...
Here in the high desert, the sun is so intense that the only way I can get plants to come up happily is to direct seed..that way they decide when they are ready to expose themselves..otherwise try shading with newspaper or shade panels during the hottest part of the day for a week or so
I spent 20 years experimenting..what works for you may not work for someone else..so just keep on doing what you're doing..labeling is essential and I found that keeping a journal was very helpful from year to year and season to season (if you're lucky to get more than one growing season!!)
Good luck and don't be discouraged!

VeggieNessa

Chillin' In The Garden
Reaction score
Lisa - I truly feel your pain. All of my seeds started indoors failed last year. The first set, after about 4 weeks and the second set after about 6-8 weeks. This was about 30-40 or more at a time. :( I discovered the larger peat pots and those seemed to work better and I had about 8 pots that I put in a try and kept them outside (by this time it was June) and they did very well when I transplanted them into larger pots. I'm going to try again this week or next (I'm in Wisconsin :( - a dusting of SNOW this morning! :barnie ).

I LOVE your set up! Are there instructions somewhere? :thumbsup