new gardener question on squash

chickhamm

Chillin' In The Garden
Reaction score
ok, wow, my squash plants took off, they are HUGE. I also planted way to many in to small a space. I moved several of them and the moved plants seem to be recovering well. I was wondering, im taking care of these squash bugs, i was going to trim off several of the older leaves and burry the stems to clean up the area a bit and maybe help them in producing?

This is my first yr with an in ground garden, having lived in military housing i always used container gardens.

ummm also, how can i get my cabbage plants to make cabbage and not alot of leaves? ill post some pitures if i can.

chickhamm
Theressa
GA

punkin

Garden Ornament
Reaction score
Hey chickhamm,

How long ago did you plant the cabbage? It takes a long time for it to start developing heads. Alot of big leaves are normal.

Have your squash started blooming yet? It will be a large yellow flower, very bright. Squash plants can get big before flowering. If you have a flower, you will likely have a squash. Transplanted squash tend to look wilty for a day or two, then they should start to perk up. I've never trimmed leaves. Maybe someone else can help you with that question.

OaklandCityFarmer

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
In the past we have trimmed the older leaves with no obvious harm to the plant. It is a good thing that you moved some since they would have crowded each other and, IME, that can easily lead to a string of diseases. Just be careful not to trim too much since that can be harmful. I really don't think that burying the stems would be too helpful though.

Did you say you're having a problem with squash bugs?

As for cabbage, like punkin said, it does take a while for heads to form.

patandchickens

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
personally I wouldn't trim off leaves unless they are obviously senescing or very very seriously insect damaged. Leaves = photosynthesis = energy for fruit production.

Pat

Latest posts