new hatches

momofdrew

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
We have 5 new babies first one born Monday night 2 born yesterday and 2 I assisted today...keeping fingers crossed they are all healthy...will try to get some pics on here soon...

Ridgerunner

Garden Master
Reaction score
Momofdrew and Southern Gardener, don't you know it is the wrong time of year for new chicks? However are you going to raise them in the wintertime?

By the way, mine are about a week old now. Speckeld Sussex and Black Australorp for my laying/breeding flock and some red sex link roosters for the table. I needed some extra ones for warmth during shipping and figured no one in their right mind will be buying extra red sex link roosters.

22249_chicks_1.jpg

Some irresponsible pet owner dropped some dogs off in the country for the good life instead of takling them to the shelter, which is free drop off. Those two dogs took the heart of my laying/breeding flock plus several destined for the table.

momofdrew

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
momofdrew said:
digitS' said:
silkie chickens?
yes Silkies
When the mommas go broody is when we get new babies have one more momma setting due next week... They keep the babies warm even in this weather...

I dont grow any for meat they are all just egg producers and major pets...

Wisher1000

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
WOW! I didn't realize that so many of you have the chick-itis like me!

I have ten week-old pullets right now and a funny story. I have a EE hen that has been broody (first time) for nearly 3 months. I have tried, unsucessfully, several times to break her up. She has just found other places to set. I bought these chicks to give to her so that she would get off the nest and help me with the chicks.

Well, she would have nothing to do with the chicks. I put them under her and she growled and pecked at them. It was at night and as soon as it got light out, she left the chicks and moved to another nest box. I fired up the brooder which happens to be on top of the nest boxes. That was just over a week ago. Yesterday, I was once again going to block her out of the nest boxes to try to break her up. I lifted the curtain on her nest box and she stepped out and went into the feed room. That is where the brooder is. She went over to the brooder, looked at the chicks, and started pacing back and forth. It looked like she wanted into the brooder so I opened the door and she jumped in! It scared the bejeebies out of the chicks but she began clucking and squatting for them to get under her!

They spent last night together and all went well. Of course, the chicks did not imprint on her so they don't mind her at all. They are starting to come when she calls them to food but that is about all. When I went in to check on them before daylight, all ten were under her for warmth (I turned off the heat light to see if they would get under her.) She is happy with her brood, even if they couldn't care less about her!

Crazy hen...

gardentoad

Attractive To Bees
Reaction score
Wisher1000 said:
WOW! I didn't realize that so many of you have the chick-itis like me!

I have ten week-old pullets right now and a funny story. I have a EE hen that has been broody (first time) for nearly 3 months. I have tried, unsucessfully, several times to break her up. She has just found other places to set. I bought these chicks to give to her so that she would get off the nest and help me with the chicks.

Well, she would have nothing to do with the chicks. I put them under her and she growled and pecked at them. It was at night and as soon as it got light out, she left the chicks and moved to another nest box. I fired up the brooder which happens to be on top of the nest boxes. That was just over a week ago. Yesterday, I was once again going to block her out of the nest boxes to try to break her up. I lifted the curtain on her nest box and she stepped out and went into the feed room. That is where the brooder is. She went over to the brooder, looked at the chicks, and started pacing back and forth. It looked like she wanted into the brooder so I opened the door and she jumped in! It scared the bejeebies out of the chicks but she began clucking and squatting for them to get under her!

They spent last night together and all went well. Of course, the chicks did not imprint on her so they don't mind her at all. They are starting to come when she calls them to food but that is about all. When I went in to check on them before daylight, all ten were under her for warmth (I turned off the heat light to see if they would get under her.) She is happy with her brood, even if they couldn't care less about her!

Crazy hen...
I have read a couple ways to break up a broody hen

1. Place her in a wire bottom cage for a couple of days with no nesting materials
2. Make a recording of baby chicks and play it back to her when she starts to set for a few mintues at a time and that should break her cycle.
I asked my mom about these before she passed and she said she didn't know about the recording cause back in the day they didn't have those kind of things, but the the wire bottom does work..
I myself have not tried any of the ways because I like them broody...save my electric bill not having to run the bator or brooder,
Just my 2 cents worth..which is really only worth a penny..or less

Don cool and dry