New here and from Massachusetts/BYC member too

simple life

Garden Ornament
Reaction score
Hi, I am new to this forum but I am also on the Backyard Chicken forum,Which I love and has been a wealth of information so I know I will be happy here as well.I have several flower gardens, a rock garden and approx 40 new shrubs.I am now going to start my first vegetable and herb gardens, now that I have an endless supply of chicken poop :D So I am on here trying to scare up as much info as I can get so that I am prepared and hopefully won't make as many mistakes as I would without this help.
I hope some of you will stop by here and say hello, I noticed already that there are not only fellow gardeners from Massachusetts but also from the South Shore.I think at least one of you is even a fellow chicken keeper.Hope to meet some of you here.

Reinbeau

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
Hi, Natalie, I'm down in Hanson, not too far from you, welcome! I'm not yet a chicken owner, hopefully in three weeks I'll get my babies, but I'm an avid gardener and have been since I was a child. Hope you enjoy it here!

Buff Shallots

Garden Ornament
Reaction score
Yes, I'm Buff Hooligans in BYC. Welcome to the gardening side!

simple life

Garden Ornament
Reaction score
Hi Ann,
oooohhh you are lucky to have a feed store near you.We drive to Hanson every so often to stock up on chicken supplies.The only other feed store (at least that I know of) is the one in Pembroke.It ought to be easy to feed your chicken habit there.

Tutter

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
Welcome, Simple Life! :)

I'm not from anywhere near you, but wanted to offer encouragement....you've got a lot to do, it sounds like. 40 shrubs, wow! Good luck with everything! :)

simple life

Garden Ornament
Reaction score
Thanks Tutter, its appreciated. I finally have the yard where I wanted it before I started the herb gardens.When I bought this house it had been empty for 2 years and the neighbors had beed throwing there leaves and tree branches over here.It took approx. 250 of those brown leaf bags to clear it all, and I did it all by myself.Then one day as I was finishing up the neighbor threw some branches over the fence and apparently didn't know I was standing there on the other side.I picked them up and threw them back at him and that was the last time that happend.So I had alot of work cut out for me here, way overgrown bushes had to be removed and some dead trees. I cleared all that an replanted new ones.Actually a couple of the trees actually fell down before I could get them taken down but it all worked out in the end.This is the first year all of my flowering trees are in full bloom at the same time.You all know how satisfying that is.This winter only killed off one shrub compared to past winters, around here thats pretty good.After I cleared the yard and replanted I focused on the house itself and did alot of work there, so now I am back to the yard again.I am sooo excited to get the herb/vegetable gardens going.My younger children really want to have a garden of their own so I am doing a raised bed just for them.
Looking forward to learning alot here.Thanks again. Natalie

Reinbeau

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
Natalie, Hanson Grain is a great store, I buy all sorts of stuff from them for the garden - when I had my dog I used to buy my dog food there, she ate a special diet only they carried. You're into herbs, too, I see - my mother and I are members of the New England Unit of the Herb Society of America, might be something that interests you someday.

SewingDiva

Garden Ornament
Reaction score
Hey we live in MA - Westwood to be exact, not far from you at all! We have baby chicks arrving June 18th and we do lots of veggie gardening.

Welcome!
:cool:
~Phyllis

Latest posts