New here and from Massachusetts/BYC member too

Tink

Leafing Out
Reaction score
Hey Natalie....You will need to post pictures of your garden and your house and yard. I am interested after reading about your adventures how it looks now. I too am in the process of cleaning out and making new beds and gardens and of course adding to the chicken family! We are on 8 acres in SC and loving it! I like your name of the Simple Life. That is what we are striving for. Glad you are here.
Tink

simple life

Garden Ornament
Reaction score
Thank you Tink,
I will take some pictures and post them soon.
When we first moved here the yard and house was a mess. The house had good bones, but had been neglected for years.It was built in 1768 and I love old homes and I collect antiques so I took it on.
We took 250 bags of leaves and branches out of the yard after we moved in and took down some of the trees that were ready to fall down and planted new ones. There was not one blade of grass in the yard, just dirt.
There was only 5 very overgrown shrubs in the whole yard so we took them out and planted new ones. Including the ones we put in this week we are up to 50 new shrubs.Although the back yard could still use another 50.
This week we got so much accomplished that it feels really good, except for our backs, those don't really feel so good.;) I have had 3 back surgeries, so I won't do any heavy lifting. Still though, I am sore this week. We got 10 yards of loam/compost delivered and put that all where it needed to go, we ended up getting it in two deliveries since I decided to turn a section of yard into more garden space. I weeded the entire yard, put the stepping stones into the path near the gate,put in the 8 raised vegetable beds,planted around 300 plants, and bless my husband, he ripped up the cement slab that was near the back of the house and excavated all of the trash that the previous owners buried along with piles of bricks and rocks.It gives me 8x20 new feet of garden space since he dug up 4 feet past where the cement was. I got the hen house painted and my husband made a new door for it and built some shutters too. He made new nestboxes for the coop that needs to be built, we need a bigger space for the new hatchlings. They are actually hatching while we speak. I have 20 hatched and a bunch more pipped.The best part of being so busy all week with the yard is that I didn't have time to dwell on the eggs in the incubator. In fact I walked past it last night and I heard a peep, I looked in but didn't see anything, just a hairline crack in one egg. Then I went outside to take pictures of my daughter, it was prom night and when I came in a short time later there were 2 chickies tumbling around on top of the other eggs. I could not believe it happend that fast! I can't keep all of them so I will be giving them to anyone local who is looking for some pretty little chickies. I had ordered eggs and they sent extras of every breed, 8 breeds so I have been inundated with eggs. As much as I would love to keep them all, I don't have that kind of space, and neighbors that live too close. Plus, I had wanted to save some room for some bantums. I have been talking to a woman about getting some eggs from her Mille d'fleurs.
The chickens I already have remind me of little puppies the way they play. I am hooked!!
All and all I feel really good this week about getting so much accomplished, I didn't want the work to be dragging on for weeks.Although this morning I went outside like I do every morning to see what needs to be done and I had nothing to do, but we do need that bigger coop and I REALLY want a little garden shed..................:)

Tink

Leafing Out
Reaction score
Wow...what do you do in your spare time!!! ha ha ha.......good for you. It seems like it is never ending......but I love it.
Tink