New here from Iowa

pbjmaker

Sprout
Reaction score
Not much of one at this point :/ My chickens keep getting in it and eating the good stuff. I have a small vegetable garden: tomatoes, g. beans, yellow beans, peas, different peppers, squash and cukes.

I also have a butterfly garden - that is the one the chickens like to eat. It has joe pye weed, butterfly weed, butterfly bush, liantris (sp) hostas, some herbs, goats beard, mock orange, honeysuckle, clementis, black eyed susans, and sedum.

The chickens like the parsley, hostas and sedum GRRRR!

It used to have other flowers and annuals but until I can keep the turds out I am not going to replace them again.

vfem

Garden Addicted
Reaction score
Hi :welcome

I am not from Iowa, but my husband is... and my in-laws still live there. Not the same as being there, but they know me... if I can't drive to the beach on a morning I feel cranky, I ain't livin' there!!! :D

Your butterfly garden sounds amazing, that's what I like... attracting the butterflies the hummingbirds. Makes a garden feel complete. :rainbow-sun

sammileah

Sprout
Reaction score
i'm in the middle of iowa. hating all the rain right now.

fences make good gardens when it comes to chickens. though i planted my girls there own garden, and planted lettuce next to fence so thats all the girls can reach. though they eye the tomatoes all the time waiting for them to turn red.
butterfly gardens attract bugs bugs attract chickens.
the only way i keep the 2 apart is all my flowers are in front yard and chickens r in back most of the time anyway

ducks4you

Garden Master
Reaction score
East Central IL, Was Zone 6, Now...maybe Zone 5
:yuckyuck and :welcome, MarkR!!
This rain, "of which we speak" probably will go way north of you--just the current jet stream, you see.
The Farmer's Almanac predicts Thunderstorms, then sunny, turning hot (July 8-17) then, Thunderstormsm then sunny, cool (18-24, THEN showers, then sunny, warm, (25-31).
I see, through my crystal ball, some RAIN in your near future!
:woot
(mine, too)

:welcome, pbjmaker!
DD's are going to an Anime Con in Iowa this month, to visit a friend. Just came through your state last May. The first time I travelled through IOWA (by car), I had just gotten back from Europe. The farm fields reminded me of the agricultural part of France with your miles of hills of rolling wheat. VERY pretty!!
BTW, cage up those little fuzzybutts!!!

sammileah

Sprout
Reaction score
MarkR said:
What is this "rain" of which you speak?
if i could send it to you i would. we are having this cycle of 3-5 days rain then few dry days then starts all over.
Sunday - Weds rain Thurs - Sat sunshine.
the insects and weeds are taking over.

Latest posts