new mandoline

canesisters

Garden Master
Reaction score
This was my first year really getting into canning. After a season of spending hours slicing at the cutting board, I finally got a mandoline this past Saturday. As soon as I got home I took it out of the box, gave it a quick wash, tossed that sissy safety food holder aside (who needs that thing!) and started slicing squash for sweet squash & pepper relish.
Then promptly sliced the tips of 2 fingers almost off.
Funny thing, I was on the phone with a neighbor when it happened - who, by the way, I am TOTALLY blaming for distracting me - and our conversation when something like this:
"OUCH!"
"WHAT did you just do?"
"Cut my fingers"
"Bad?"
"Don't know yet, I've got my hand under running water till I can reach a towel"
"You didn't get anything in the relish did you!?!?!"
LOL - Gotta love a woman who has her priorities fimly in place.

Didn't stop me though. :) As soon as I got the bleeding to stop and the floor cleaned up, I went right back - VERY CAREFULLY - to finishing up the squash and slicing up the onion. Ended up with 12 jars - YAH!

canesisters

Garden Master
Reaction score
mandoline.jpg

Mean, nasty, beastie.....

sumi

Rest in Peace 1980-2020
Reaction score
Ay ya youch! That safety food holder is a PITA, but see, it has it's uses :old Hope your fingers are o.k.

NwMtGardener

Garden Addicted
Reaction score
Heh, i got mine out the other day and promply gave myself a little cut just changing the blades out. It didnt work that well for me, either. I was doing cabbage for pickled cabbage and ended up going back to the cutting board for cabbage and cheese grater for carrots approach.

thistlebloom

Garden Master
Reaction score
I bought one last year, or was it the year before? But I like it, works great for onions. I read all the reviews on many mandolines before I ordered and it was with fear and trepidation that I used it the first few times. I always use the sissy foodholder.
I save cutting off finger tips to my pruning clippers. :confused:

Just-Moxie

Garden Addicted
Reaction score
I have one myself. Finally bought it after waiting 35 years. I find that not everything slices perfect...but...what it does slice well...:ya
I love it for the onion slices and cucumber slices. Tomatoes...not so much. Cabbage....i must need practice. It does wonderful on zucchini and yellow squash though. Potatoes....great for slicing...not great for when you cook them. If I dehydrated them, would be excellent.

And YES...use the slicer finger protector thingy! That blade cuts you just looking at it wrong! :hit

baymule

Garden Master
Reaction score
I love my mandolins!!! I got one at a home show when I was 19 years old and used it almost to death. Now I have two of them in the cabinet! They are perfect for slicing cucumbers for pickles. I like to make hash browns with the mandolin too. But I use the sissy doo-whoppyy-thingy. I like my fingers!

Rhodie Ranch

Garden Master
Reaction score
I've had one for years and yes, have sliced parts of fingers off way too often. Makes me shiver remembering how much it bled. But they do work, especially if I use the dang pokey thingy to keep the red off whatever I'm slicing.

Latest posts