New Member in SW La

Bpollen

Leafing Out
Reaction score
Hello, there! I'm retired, currently living in southwest Louisiana (but may be returning to Texas).

I plan on gardening in retirement, since I didn't have much time for that when I was working. The soil & climate were a little difficult for me, too, in Dallas. I'm particularly fond of edible plants (figs, satsumas, blackberries, blueberries, peppers, watermelon, cantaloupe, etc.). I figure, as long as you're planting something, why not plant a few edible plants? That's a win-win.

I was planning on getting into roses, but I think here in SW La it might be too humid & rainy for that to be possible for a non-expert. I need to check into that.

I also have an interest in plants that attract butterflies and bees.

I look forward to reading information and experiences of other gardeners.

ninnymary

Garden Master
Reaction score
Welcome Bpollen! Sounds like we are similar thinking, as to growing edibles. I've replaced most of my yard with edibles now. Enjoy your retirement. My husband has only a month to go. He is going to be so busy. haha

Mary

Ridgerunner

Garden Master
Reaction score
:frow Welcome, glad you joined. :frow

I'm getting ready to move form NW Arkansas to SE Louisiana so it will be quite a change as far as what I can grow. I lived down there for over 30 years but like you did not have time for gardening then. It will be interesting.

So jump in and make yourself at home.

so lucky

Garden Master
Reaction score
Welcome, @Bpollen. This is a great place to get information and just talk gardening. Lots of good natured (usually) joking going on here, too.

RUNuts

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
Welcome Bpollen! Have lots of kin in SW La. MIL from Lacassine. Went to school in Lake Charles and first job. Lots of good people there! I'm sitting too close to Houston now.

baymule

Garden Master
Reaction score
Welcome to the forum! I am in the Tyler, Texas area. SW La, that's close to east Texas! Where in Texas are you thinking about relocating to? Back to the Dallas area? Anyway, really glad that you joined the forum. We have lots of fun here, so just jump in!

Latest posts