New member TN needs mentor

CrystalRose

Sprout
Reaction score
Hi 👋 I am hoping to learn how to keep my plants alive as I tend to over water or under water and they always end up being given to someone to help me save them. I live in Warren County TN now and and hoping to plant these sunflower seeds I got from the Jamestown settlement store in VA can anyone tell me what kind of soil or the best spots to plant them are please 🙂

Marie2020

Garden Addicted
Reaction score
Hello Crysalrose :welcome

I would love to have that answer on sunflower soil. I'm sure one of our clever members will find out this answer for you.

flowerbug

Garden Master
Reaction score
the hard thing for us is not how to grow them or where but if we can keep them alive from the raiding chipmunks, rabbits, groundhogs and deer.

from what i remember they like a fair amount of water but may not mind a variety of soils as long as they are not waterlogged.

sunshine and warmth as their name indicates. :) for the tall varieties you'll want them protected from the wind or they will need to be supported.

Alasgun

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
Welcome from Alaska, there’s no shortage of opinions around here; im sure you’ll find something useful. Before spring i presume?

digitS'

Garden Master
Reaction score
Yes, you aren't planning to sow that seed in mid-September, right? Welcome to the forum :frow, ChrystalRose!

There is a rule of thumb that most plants need about 1" of water each week. Of course, this is a generality that is never quite right for localities or varieties. However, so many people seem to pay little or no attention to the amount of water going on their lawns and gardens. I truly do not have that option ;).

My gardens are watered with sprinklers and I have measured the sprinkler output by setting out cake pans and measuring how much water accumulated in the pans over the time that the sprinklers were running. That's very simple. Since my soil drains very well and the summers are arid, I plan on 1 1/2" per week. The lawn gets 3/4" twice each week. It works best for the garden if it's 1/2", 3 times each week. It's just a matter of timing AND checking with the Weather Service regarding rainfall. They keep track of that for us ;).

I have had sunflowers in my garden and yard, every year for about the last 15+.

Steve

farmerjan

Attractive To Bees
Reaction score
Hold the seeds for the spring. I plant sunflowers around the edge of the garden... a couple in the middle of the hills of pumpkins or cukes or melons.... They are usually very hardy. Don't like to be disturbed so plant where you want them to be....I have never worried about type of soil since there is not much changing what is there.... amending with compost and any and all organic matter I can find. Plant when you are pretty sure of no frost... a little won't hurt them but I usually get my garden in about last frost... here it is mid-May . I am not in a rush and everything gets put in within a week except sweet potatoes. They are much less cold tolerant. I don't get in a rush to get potatoes in early, or cold weather crops since I am lucky to get it tilled when it suits someone.... I like broccoli and stuff for fall crops since I don't get them in early enough for early harvesting...
If the garden needs water, the sunflowers can use it. MULCH and you will use alot less water....

Artichoke Lover

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
Sunflowers should be quite easy to grow, aren’t particularly picky about soil and don’t need a lot of water. They also like hot weather so you will probably want to wait until a couple of weeks after your last frost date in the spring. It will probably be safe to plant sometime around mid-late May for you depending on your elevation.

Junior07

Sprout
Reaction score
I always plant mine in a pot and put them in the shed for a few weeks until they’re a few inches tall. Then I plant them in some sunshine that has a bit of shade as well during some parts of the day. I use horse and sheep droppings as fertiliser and that works pretty well for me.

Hope this helps