New Mexico and Arizona

TReeves

Garden Ornament
Reaction score
DH and I are taking a camping/hiking/backpacking trip sans children for 15 days starting Wednesday. We are looking for interesting/neat things to do in Arizona and New Mexico. I figured with as many people as we have all over someone can give me ideas!
1st stop is Tombstone anything after that is fluid.

Carol Dee

Garden Master
Reaction score
Having been to AZ many times. (Relatives lived there.) Try Usaury mountain and hike up to Wind Cave near Apache Junction. The Grand Canyon, Painted Desert and Petrified Forest may be touristy but are beautiful to see. Tortilla Flats was fun. Roosevelt Dam and Lake. Many more things and places we visited with relatives that I could not remember name and may have been hidden gems for locals!

TReeves

Garden Ornament
Reaction score
@Carol Dee there's still a Reservation at Apache Junction? I think that was one of our maybe places but, didn't seem like a lot to do. I'll look up Tortilla flats just the name alone makes me giggle. :)

Carol Dee

Garden Master
Reaction score
Not sure if there is a Reservation there. But the camp ground and hike up to Wind Cave was awesome.

TReeves

Garden Ornament
Reaction score
We talked about heading that north too. But, decided that was for another time. Maybe when the kids are around (they're with Grandparents on vacation).
This was a last minute decision since DH got vacation time. It doesn't happen often so we're having a belated honeymoon (11 years, later)!

seedcorn

Garden Master
Reaction score
Remember, no pix, it didn't happen. Few are fine, don't need every pix. :thumbsup

TReeves

Garden Ornament
Reaction score
I'll post some eventually. :)

TReeves

Garden Ornament
Reaction score
We are 3 days in and have been so many places and seen some really neat stuff. We started out at Carlsbad Caverns and then drove to out campsite. Unfortunately the Forest burned the year before so there wasn't much to do. We went to Sante Fe yesterday and hiked the Santa Fe trail then to our campground. We didn't stay cause we got wet last night. It was raining when we left this morning. We did get a real shower this morning though! We drove to Albuquerque and did the turquoise trail. Now we're headed to the Gila National forest where we'll be for 4 days. I have one picture on my phone the rest are on the camera. This is the first cell reception we've really had. So, here's my picture.
20150624_165133.jpg
This is in Lincoln National forest.
20150624_073217.jpg
I'm but really sure where we were. It was ready early morning and DH was taking pictures.

Latest posts