New Mexico

joshplus10

Sprout
Reaction score
I'll be starting to garden for the first time in New Mexico after 20 years in San Francisco. I expect that it will be pretty different and could really use some tips!

I guess I won't be having months and months of spinach and snow peas, but I hope to have some great tomatoes and peppers!

Athena

Chillin' In The Garden
Reaction score
joshplus10 said:
I'll be starting to garden for the first time in New Mexico after 20 years in San Francisco. I expect that it will be pretty different and could really use some tips!

I guess I won't be having months and months of spinach and snow peas, but I hope to have some great tomatoes and peppers!
welcome Josh....

Wow, talk about a culture shock...
will be interesting what you come up with to grow...

homesteadmom

Attractive To Bees
Reaction score
We own 40 acres up inn the high desert of Az & we were at the local farmers market one day & I was asking all kids of questions as to what grows there & I was told everything but citrus(too cold in winter). Where our place is it is zone 7, so you should be able to grow anything where you are. Best advice is find a local farmers market or start talking to the locals & you should get more info on what does best in your area & what needs a little more coddling. Good luck & welcome!

joshplus10

Sprout
Reaction score
Homstead Mom -

I'm in zone 6b/7a and the sun is fierce! Do you use shade fabrics? How about wind barriers?

homesteadmom

Attractive To Bees
Reaction score
joshplus10 said:
Homstead Mom -

I'm in zone 6b/7a and the sun is fierce! Do you use shade fabrics? How about wind barriers?
I haven't actually gardened up there yet(we live in the low desert right now). But when we go up there & I can see all the gardens in the yards, I have not seen any shades any where. Nor have I seen wind barriers per say but a lot of people do plant near their houses & I am assuming that is partly to block the wind. We can get 100+mph winds up there. In fact building codes require 120 mph wind strength. Here in zone 8/9 where we live I do shade some of my plants as the sun is extreme here in the summer along with the temps(115+). What part of NM are you in?