New Strawberry plants got snowed on!

Ariel301

Attractive To Bees
Reaction score
NORMALLY, our weather is spring-like after the beginning of February, and it's the time to get stuff planted and sprouting before it gets too hot. I put in 40 bare-root strawberries, they were just starting to sprout out, and less than a week later we got a surprise snowfall overnight! Since it was not supposed to even be cold, just rainy, I didn't cover the plants....I'm guessing they're dead now, right?

bid

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
I kind of doubt it Ariel. It may kill a few, but I suspect most will survive and start growing again. I know around here the commercial growers will spray the plants to allow ice to form on them to insulate them when an unexpected cold snap hits . Snow is a good insulator as well. I think you will see them recover. I hope so anyway! :)

vfem

Garden Addicted
Reaction score
My strawberries are like hardy little weeds... I rip and transplant runners all the time with no ill effect. I even moved some in December right before we got 3" of snow! They are all doing great. :)

***sending good vibes for those berries***

silkiechicken

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
If your strawberries are anything like the ones back in washington... they can do snow, ice, frozen soil for a week or two no problem. I do nothing special to my strawberries. They get snowed on, their soil freezes into their root zone, and they always keep on going come spring. Doubt a bit of snow will hurt them one bit. Even runners who don't have roots and some how end up floating on snow manage to push out roots and get going when the soggy mud they live in dries up a bit and warms up.

Ariel301

Attractive To Bees
Reaction score
That's hopeful...

These were not really established yet, they were bare root plants (they started sprouting in the package) and were only in the ground a few days when they got snowed on. Will that matter?

It rained for 24 hours prior to the snow also, so the ground froze pretty solid for about a day and now it is warm again. Weather is crazy here in the desert.

luvsdirt

Chillin' In The Garden
Reaction score
Good Morning! Thanks for the good strawberry info. But how about new plantings? I'm in zone 7 and fairly new at strawberries. If I can get them, is it way too early to get them in the ground now? I would also like to have some container grown ones in the front yard, so that our 3 year old grandson can easily pick the ripe ones. Thank you very much.:tools

Latest posts