new to gardening

momofdrew

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
welcome!!!:D

first start lettuce broccoli spinach peas cauliflower kale other cole crops followed a week or 2 later by root crops like beets onions carrots radishes turnips...then when the weather is settled the tomatoes and peppers cucumbers and squashes go in then when the soil is nice and warm 70* the corn and beans can go in...also you can plant cole crops late in the summer for a fall harvest...the dont mind cooler nights of autumn...good luck and I hope you enjoy gardening as much as I have over the past 60 years

vfem

Garden Addicted
Reaction score
hoodat said:
Lancaster county is one of the richest soils in the USA. You should do fine unless the soil has been farmed chemically. If so the humus may be burned out and you will have to add compost and/or manure to get it going again. As Patandchickens said don't go by what the stores sell. They will sell whatever people will buy whether it's the right time of year or not.
It's a bit late for cool weather plants. I'd be seeding warm weather plants like tomatos and peppers in pots. As soon as the soil warms up a bit more you can plant them out.
My grandpa swore the best way to check was to drop your britches and sit down on the ground. If your butt doesn't turn blue it's ready to plant. I don't remember seeing him do it though. :lol:
I needed that!!! :lol:

clueless, you've gotten a wealth of knowledge from some of the best gardeners I know. I am, myself, a seasonal failure. I started with a black thumb, and now its gotten a bit of good 'ole irish green to it. So my grandmother should finally be proud of me... took enough years after all her guidance.

I think the best comment was, all gardeners fail. Every season 1 or 2 things go terribly wrong for me. Something just doesn't vibe well with another plant and I lose it, 1 or 2 bug species move in and I lose a few more. However, I'm at a good 60-70% success rate on everything else, so that is a success in its own right!

So start small... plant some cool weather veggies now, just a few you can handle, and practice with. Spinach, lettuce and some root veggies like potatoes sound great. But do some easy winners so you can have a guaranteed success.... like beets and/or radishes. Those have done well for me with no work at all!

Then start off with tomato and peppers plants. Though they are easy, I found for at least 2 seasons I didn't have the best success with starting from seed. There were tricks that I found to be really trickier then I originally thought... and those became FAILS in my book!

Do some research on your favorite things... and then next year, if you feel good about it, double what you started with this year. After a few seasons, some of you 'must haves' and 'favorites' will become easier on you, and you'll be able to tinker with new ideas, heirlooms and crazy fruits & veggies you feel apt to trying!

You need a good success under your belt before you over load yourself with too much. I'm glad I started small, though my husband who's expanded my garden twice isn't so happy about it! :lol:

ORLANDO

Sprout
Reaction score
I think the best option to grow the plants like lettuce, spinach and broccoli in a cool atmosphere where these grow very well . Moreover, you need to check whether the place for plants is cool or not . If not then you may fine the cool weather there . Furthermore, the best time for growing tomatoes is May or later .

Fashion I Party Wears I Mens Fashion
Latest Bridal I Attractive I Jewlary

Latest posts