Newbie from Az

homesteadmom

Attractive To Bees
Reaction score
Hi I am new to this forum but been on SS for a few months now. Live in the central desert in Az & we are trying to be as SS as possible. We have chickens for eggs, a garden we are expanding this yr & 2 orange trees. We are adding more trees this yr. We are adding 3 apple, 1 peach, 1 lemon, 1 ruby red grapefruit & 1 pear, grape vines & rhubarb. Next yr we will add cherry trees, blueberry & raspberry bushes too.

rebbetzin

Garden Addicted
Reaction score
Welcome.gif

HI!! I am in Tucson. Aren't we having just the bestest weather this year!! My garden is doing very well. I still have Basil that survived the lastest frosts a couple weeks ago. Though, they are saying next week we are to dip down again to freezing in some areas. Of course, after I washed and put away all my ground covers!!

Nice to have you here!! Good Luck with your plantings!!

Are you on Backyard Chickens too???

homesteadmom

Attractive To Bees
Reaction score
Thank you. Yes we have been having great temps this yr! I have had beets out in the garden all winter & 1 volunter tomato plant that has almost ripe enough fruit on it. My peas are doing great too. I saw an extended forecast for our area that has snow showers for next sun(15th)!! But that cols weather does not surprise me as it will be O'odham Tash weekend & it is always cold that weekend. No not on BYC, yet. Just not enough time. BTW , I am outside of Casa Grande.

Patch of Heaven Farm

Chillin' In The Garden
Reaction score
:welcome
Glad to have you!!
I hear you on the SS thing. We are trying to grow all our veggies and meat. Hope to raise a 100% of it this year. We are also planting a fruit orchard! We have a calf and some pigs for the freezer. We just put 15 roosters in the freezer with plans for more this spring. We are also growing wheat and corn and hopefully will have some flour and cornmeal!!

:watering

homesteadmom

Attractive To Bees
Reaction score
Thanks for the welcome Patch! We have 2 cows also but i think dh is going to sell one at the auction house soon. I am trying to convince him to get a low line jersey for milk, but so far he is not buying my reasoning. So we will see what happens. Getting started on my trees this month I will get 2-3 each mo to get them planted, grape vines next mo too. We are planting all the trees on the west side of our property to help with shade to keep the property cooler in our extreme heat days eventually.