Newbie Rose Garder

Blisschick

Chillin' In The Garden
Reaction score
Okay, so maybe I'm not new, but I sure can't seem to get the hang of growing a good bush. With the exception of one that I ignore, none of the ones I have are doing very well. What can I do for feeble established roses aside from yanking them up and torturing new ones?

Southern Gardener

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
Hi Stacey,

Im not new to growing roses. At one time I had around 15 bushes and climbers, now Im down to two! I had mostly antique roses, which were supposed to be easier to grow. My two favorite climbers were Sombreuil and Zephirine Drouhin. I just dug them up a couple of weeks ago. All of my roses are or I should say were beautiful in the spring for a few weeks and by the middle of the summer they look terrible! Black spot, bugs and on some, the leaves fell off. Now, Im pretty much done with roses! I just wish I had all the money I spent on them! I hope you have better luck than I did.

sgtsheart

Chillin' In The Garden
Reaction score
Blisschick said:
With the exception of one that I ignore, none of the ones I have are doing very well.
I'm no rose expert either, but I think you may have hit on at least part of the answer there.

I've never had a rose that liked me doting on it. I basically ignore them, except to sprinkle with a little sevin dust in the spring. In a way the fact that the timber companies around here release lady bugs twice a year is an added bonus; since the LB's eat the aphids. I would say just follow the grower's recommended planting procedures, nuture it thru the adjustment period, then leave it alone; checking every once in awhile to see how it's faring. I could, and just might be, totally wrong though.

silkiechicken

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
Yeah, I don't do so well with the growing roses thing, but after digging them up a few times, I just leave them be and chop off dead parts. They grow fine now. Key is to hold back the pampering.

MeanQueenNadine

Leafing Out
Reaction score
1.) Plant garlic around the rose bush - helps keep away the nasties.

2.) Full Sun & let them have plenty of air circulation, I am in SLC, UT (DRY climate) & I still have leaf fungus problems in the spring. But only on the ones that are in partial sun & a crowded bed. For leaf fungus you can spray with milk. This year I did not bother & just let them tough it out, they look fine & are still flowering.

3.) I also throw coffee grounds around the base every month or two. This is more for my worm population then "fertilizing". The worms keep my soil from being compacted & helps with aeration.

4.) Water properly - deep water rarely - not a little a lot. If you are not sure dig a 2-3" hole and scope up some soil and RUB for moisture (your finger can NOT differentiate between Cold & Wet). If you feel moisture wait & try again later. No moisture means go ahead & water. SLOW drip is better then a quick blast.

5.) Watch for deficiencies. These usually turn up in "peculiar" looking leafs. Using a top dressing of good compost every spring & fall will help address this. I try to stay away from "chemical" fertilizers. You may wanna check out the compost tea post in the compost forum, I swear by it.

HTH
N

Txchikngardners

Chillin' In The Garden
Reaction score
Fortunately my roses don't require much attention from me - I wouldn't know how to 'properly' treat them. There are a few things that I do regularly and they seem to appreciate it because they are still blooming beautifully and it's almost December!

1 - prune them in January or February - absolutely no later than Valentines Day (my mom's instructions!). I do this faithfully and mine come back bigger and better every year.
2 - dust with "Sevin Dust" two or three times in the spring. By late summer I don't have pests so there is no reason to dust anymore.
3- "dead head" old blooms (cut off blooms that die). Mom's rule of thumb was: cut off bloom just above the first set of '5' leaves -wherever that may be.

Mine are planted in an area that is shady in the morning and is in full sun for the rest of the day. I fertilize with Miracle Grow for roses about once a month and water about every 2-3 days. During the hot summer months, my DH waters every day for me :love

Herechickchick

Chillin' In The Garden
Reaction score
Count me in on the ignoring them trend. Mine do not like me to bother them. I just let them be, what happens, happens.

Rosalind

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
I second the garlic suggestion. Mine love it.

Compost is good, but I never put more on my roses than I would on my veggie garden.

Rock mineral fertilizers seem to do well. A sprinkling of greensand every 5-10 years or so.

Every winter, prune 'em down and mulch with either a LOT of straw or wrap the canes in a double layer of burlap. Mine get a faster start in spring this way, so they come back bigger. When I don't do this, yeah, they look a bit straggly.

aquarose

Garden Ornament
Reaction score
I have two rose plants that are doing great with benign neglect. Zephrine Drouhan (or however its spelled) I bought for its ability to bloom in part shade and its fragrance. I left it sitting in its packaging for weeks when I got it 'cause there was snow on the ground. A few years later it is beginning to cover the trellis over my garden gate (with an orange honeysuckle-clashes but I don't care-its beautiful to me). I also have a Don Juan climbing rose that I also bought for fragrance. I was very cruel to it last summer, moving it in August. I thought I killed it but right now it is covered in new foliage. When buying a rose look for one that says disease resistant. I really don't do anything to either of my roses except occasional deep watering during the hottest part of the summer if I have the time and energy.

Latest posts