Newbie seedling question

desertgirl

Garden Ornament
Reaction score
I'm starting my seeds indoors, and have my little mini greenhouse set up with a heating pad under it to keep the little seedies warm. Question; this needs to stay on all of the time? I am looking at about a month of the heating pad constantly in use? Just asking, as if this is the case I need to get a backup....:/

boggybranch

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
I would just keep it on till they sprouted good. Do you have somewhere to put them, after sprouting, until you can put them "out"...like a greenhouse or cold frame?

desertgirl

Garden Ornament
Reaction score
I don't. they are in the spare room, with a south facing window. I was planning on leaving them in there for a while, then hardening them off when it gets closer to planting.

boggybranch

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
Long as they have a GOOD light source (you don't want them to get "leggy" on ya), you'll do good. But the heat isn't, really, needed after they sprout.

Ridgerunner

Garden Master
Reaction score
Many things I agree, but I think certain heat-loving plants like peppers and eggplant do better if the ground is kept warm. Not that they absolutely have to have heat, but I think they do better.

Desertgirl, I would not worry about a back-up plan as they will not immediately fall over and die as soon as the heat goes out, but I would leave it on for certain heat-loving plants.

boggybranch

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
Ridgerunner said:
Many things I agree, but I think certain heat-loving plants like peppers and eggplant do better if the ground is kept warm. Not that they absolutely have to have heat, but I think they do better.

Desertgirl, I would not worry about a back-up plan as they will not immediately fall over and die as soon as the heat goes out, but I would leave it on for certain heat-loving plants.
Ditto, on that point, Rr........they sure, as heck, don't like cool "dirt".

ducks4you

Garden Master
Reaction score
East Central IL, Was Zone 6, Now...maybe Zone 5
My 100 tomato plants grew in the basement a year ago on a 4 x 6 piece of plywood lit by a pair of flourescent lights. I turned on the lights before I left for work, then turned off the lights when I came home. They had approximately 12-14 hours of light/day.
This year, I'll be setting up a 4 rack metal storage (pretty much THIS one at Lowe's,
Real Organized 4-Tier Chrome Wire Shelving Unit
Item #: 64014 | Model #: 143654C

for this year. I'm waiting until the weeked, and I'm going to start March crops--onions, radishes, spinach, peas--with the 3 grow lights/fixtures (that I bought for this back in October!! :lol: ) The rack is 54 inches tall, about 15 inches deep and about 30ish inches wide. It will take up MUCH less basement space, so I can keep working at my cleaning. I think I'll avoid leggy plants, too, plus, after these plants go outside I'll start the tomatoes here and they'll be warmer than last year. I'll let you know how it turns out.

HunkieDorie23

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
ducks4you said:
My 100 tomato plants grew in the basement a year ago on a 4 x 6 piece of plywood lit by a pair of flourescent lights. I turned on the lights before I left for work, then turned off the lights when I came home. They had approximately 12-14 hours of light/day.
This year, I'll be setting up a 4 rack metal storage (pretty much THIS one at Lowe's,
Real Organized 4-Tier Chrome Wire Shelving Unit
Item #: 64014 | Model #: 143654C

for this year. I'm waiting until the weeked, and I'm going to start March crops--onions, radishes, spinach, peas--with the 3 grow lights/fixtures (that I bought for this back in October!! :lol: ) The rack is 54 inches tall, about 15 inches deep and about 30ish inches wide. It will take up MUCH less basement space, so I can keep working at my cleaning. I think I'll avoid leggy plants, too, plus, after these plants go outside I'll start the tomatoes here and they'll be warmer than last year. I'll let you know how it turns out.
This is similar to how I do my plants. I have a 4 shelf green house about that size and I have attach flourescent lights (el cheapo's I bought at walmart for $7). I stack boxes under them to keep them within 2-4 inches and them move them down as they grow. Then when I harden them I have a 4 shelf stand on the front porch (faces west gets almost no sun) and hardend them there. No leggy plants, georgous green health plants. Way better then you can buy at the store.

Latest posts