Next Year, Things are Going to be Different

baymule

Garden Master
Reaction score
@majorcatfish not only that, but as firewood, the logs just kinda smolder, shoot off some sparks and don't really put out much heat for all the work you put in, to get firewood. It got me the first time, but never again! :lol:

I lived in a house once, where the interior walls were of sweet gum boards, they were nailed up while green. So 75 years later, they were hard as iron and trying to drive a nail in to hang a picture was useless. The nails bounced right back when I smacked them with a hammer, flying across the room!

digitS'

Garden Master
Reaction score
Dad gum it! Follow through is important.

I don't want to get it down where I'm unwilling to take fights of fancy because I may have the moral failing of not following through. (See why I rebelled against my upbringing ;)?) Anyway, it's important.

:) Like, I finally got to that spice store so that I could once again make that beef breakfast sausage ... I believe there is a sprouter on the basement shelves. Get back to ~ somewhere ~ for some alfalfa seed!

Mung beans in the garden next year - yeah! What do those things look like? Can I have better sprouts from garden-harvested mung beans than what I achieved last time from store-bought? Where did I get those things? This may require a seed outfit order and a wait for delivery ...

Oats sown early in the tomato patch for a cover crop and later mulch - yeah! That seems like such a good idea and was first suggested by another TEG gardener! Sow early, set out tomato starts amongst, pull oats when they have reached a good height, use as mulch. I did it along one side of the squash one year. Follow Through. Get it in with the tomatoes!

Steve

Last edited:

Ridgerunner

Garden Master
Reaction score
If you take a dried gum seed pod and stick toothpicks in it, then spray paint it gold or silver, you get a nice Christmas tree ornament. It was a good activity for Cub Scouts.

so lucky

Garden Master
Reaction score
I think I remember some company coming out with a spray (or root drench?) for sweet gum that kept it from making gumballs. But I can imagine it drifting or washing to the garden and being birth control for your whole garden! :th
Altho I really hate to see a tree come down, I think you will be happier without that particular tree, majorcatfish! Those gumballs are a pain in many ways.

catjac1975

Garden Master
Reaction score
sorry @catjac1975 did not fully explain why this gumball tree <sweetgum>and 7 others are slated to come down, i do agree with you it's a very nice tree during the summer,but it produces these seed pods
View attachment 5385
these pods drop over the winter, when spring time rolls around they have had time to dry up and become hard as a rock. over the years these little guys have caused numerous flat tires on the g/tractor, cart and wheelbarrow because of their sharp points their like the stop strips police use to stop a car, plus they wreak havoc with the mower blades can dual a new set of blades in no time.. they also tears up the dogs pads while out running around on our walks.
these trees just not have a couple pods they have 100's of them
View attachment 5384
View attachment 5383
had to replace all my toys tires this year, while they were being changed had them put in tire snot<commercial fix a flat>.
needless to say nobody likes these trees on their property where they have to mow..
Too bad. I think they are a beautiful seed pod. I guess they do not grow around here.

Pulsegleaner

Garden Master
Reaction score
Dad gum it! Follow through is important.
Mung beans in the garden next year - yeah! What do those things look like? Can I have better sprouts from garden-harvested mung beans than what I achieved last time from store-bought? Where did I get those things? This may require a seed outfit order and a wait for delivery ...

On the off chance you were asking me (since I mentioned maybe growing mung beans) my answers are as follows

Mung beans are fairly small (maybe peppercorn size) and usually green (usually herein being defined as "more or less always except when you are taking about any I am planting:D). There are basically two kinds you will find on the market. One, which seems to be the Chinese/Indian type is a dullish green with beans that while cylindrical have more or less rounded tips. The other, which seems to be more common in SE Asia, is smaller, brighter green, and often flatter on the tips.

Whether you can get better sprouts off your own or not I cannot comment on. They'd certainly be fresher but how much difference that would make I do not know.

If you get a real good crop (and reach a point where you are tired of beansprouts) Mungs can also be ground up and used as a kind of dal. There is also a way to turn them into skinny transparent noodles, called mung bean threads (if you've ever seen those squiggly transparent things inside of the filling of a spring roll, those are mung bean threads) Assuming any of mine make a decent crop (and taste ok) that's probably what I would do with mine (like a lot of my alternate color material, most of my mungs are significantly smaller seeded than "industry standard" so the beansprouts they would make would probably be too small to be worth using.)

Smart Red

Garden Master
Reaction score
@Smart Red we are going to fence it and put the horses in it for the winter. We have to fence the whole place and I want to fence the garden anyway, so I'll just start there. The garden area will be on the left in this picture.

View attachment 5382
Looks good, @baymule! You can tell the land will grow things. Now to keep it to growing just the things you want.

digitS'

Garden Master
Reaction score
@Pulsegleaner , I have sprouted mung beans. I have never seen the mature plants.

Way back when, the sprouts I grew were disappointing. It was only much later that I wondered about the quality of that seed. The seedlings were weak. No plump, crisp sprouts - they were rather scrawny things.

If I pay attention at the supermarket, I can find better. The restaurant that wants repeat customers would need better.

Steve

Pulsegleaner

Garden Master
Reaction score
I've only seen the plants once myself. I think they were kind of bushy.

I think that getting really plump sprouts needs extra moisture as well as sprouting them in the dark.

For the record I think you can sprout adzukis the same way, and probably rice beans (if you need those, let me know, I have literally POUNDS of extra)