night birds

curly_kate

Garden Addicted
Reaction score
This time of year, there is a bird that goes crazy at dusk. Right about now, they are winding down for the night. Their call isn't too complex - just kind of a chipping /chirping sound. I'm in the Ohio valley and I would say it's probably a forest bird of some kind. Any ideas?

majorcatfish

Garden Master
Reaction score
here we have grackles they are black in color,strange looking tail and roost in a rather large flock in the evening.. it might be those....are you able to get a picture of them?

so lucky

Garden Master
Reaction score
Robins do that. There are websites you can go to that will play various bird calls to help you identify it. I love the sound of mama robins calling in their youngsters on a summer evening.

Chickie'sMomaInNH

Garden Master
Reaction score
robins tend to do that around here at dusk. but if you are hearing some birds calls in the middle of the night that is usually a mocking bird. ours go off just before my roosters start in around 3:30 or 4am. :rolleyes:

897tgigvib

Garden Master
Reaction score
When I lived in Montana I used to hear those yellow headed blackbirds in the morning before light. Those kind of purple headed ones I heard late in the evening. Actually a black head with a purple shimmer to it.

curly_kate

Garden Addicted
Reaction score
Thanks for all the suggestions! I needed some possibilities so I didn't have to listen to every bird on that Cornell website! :) I'm hearing robins at night, too, but it's not the one that I'm trying to ID. DH swears it's frogs, but I heard those, too, and this definitely sounds more like a bird. Any other ideas? I wish I could get a picture, but it's too dark. We have open fields & woods around our house, to I'm not sure I'd be able to see them anyway.

curly_kate

Garden Addicted
Reaction score
Nope, that's not it either. :/ I'm not sure if this helps, but it sounds like a huge flock of them. I see tons of goldfinches here. Maybe that's it?