Nightshade?

ShellieESterling

Garden Ornament
Reaction score
That's what this is, correct? I found it on the corner of our pasture.

2656386642_0d6e7bb3fa.jpg

karanleaf

Garden Ornament
Reaction score
:ep Yes, it sure looks like nightshade to me I would be pulling any and all of it out of my pasture. I have spent days on end doing just that when we first rented the pasture we have now. I walked all over with a 5 gal bucket pulling all I could see. Nasty stuff if your critters eat it...

OaklandCityFarmer

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
Yeah, that sure is nightshade.

I'm in the ending stage of a year long battle with this stuff. It wouldn't be so bad but it seems to be only growing in the chicken run area.

Roots are extensive and it has a 150% sprout rate if you let it go to seed.

ShellieESterling

Garden Ornament
Reaction score
Will it effect my garden at all? I plan to over haul and till half the pasture for a garden in the spring, since it's so late in the season already. I'll use the other half (near the cherry trees) for the sheep, when we get those. Would that work?

karanleaf

Garden Ornament
Reaction score
You may want to try to burn that off. We have a weed burner and it helped where the night shade was the thickest by our north pond. I won't kid you though, I do still find it once in a while when I walk the pasture. It really is hard to clear out...

What type of cherry trees are you talking about in your pasture?? Wild Cherry is not good for horses.. I don't know what if any effect it would have if sheep ate any of the fruit or leaves. You might want to check with you local extensision office and who ever may be a speicalist on sheep.

ShellieESterling

Garden Ornament
Reaction score
karanleaf said:
What type of cherry trees are you talking about in your pasture?? Wild Cherry is not good for horses.. I don't know what if any effect it would have if sheep ate any of the fruit or leaves. You might want to check with you local extensision office and who ever may be a speicalist on sheep.
Hmm... well, I suppose I'll have to tear out the nightshade then. I can plant the garden near the wild cherries and use the other side for the sheep. :rolleyes: Geez... this place. I'll find some other deadly plant as soon as I go to purchase sheep, I'm sure.

OaklandCityFarmer

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
ShellieESterling said:
Will it effect my garden at all? I plan to over haul and till half the pasture for a garden in the spring, since it's so late in the season already. I'll use the other half (near the cherry trees) for the sheep, when we get those. Would that work?
If they're already flowering right now and you're not picking the flowers or berries then yes, you probably will have more next year. This is the second year of heavy tilling, weeding and removing flowers and berries of any plants that pop up and we're still have them come up. I mean they're not that hard to control with heavy mulching and regular weeding.

I'd be careful with the sheep though, the plants are very poisonous. That's why it's so much of a concern for us to keep it from growing in the chicken run.

Latest posts