Nite Guard Solar-Powered Night Predator Light

lakeman

Sprout
Reaction score
Has anybody tried, or had any experience with this predator light in their garden. It is advertised as unconditionally gauranteed to keep away foxes, coyotes, wolves, bears, deer, raccoon, skunk, any and all wild animals? They consist of a solar powered blinking red led light, that represents the eye of a predator. Here is a link to their websight, showing their claims, which are unbelievable.

http://www.niteguard.com/

vfem

Garden Addicted
Reaction score
I have an article that says the lights that go on automatically when creature come a creeping only work 2-3 times at best. Eventually they condition to the auto light and will just get into the garden anyways. Same with this 'red' light which does not really mimic what it claims. Its just a light that comes on animals are hesitate of.... and only for a limited period.

Its a Mother Earth News Article on proper fencing that came out last month I do believe.

I was suggested by several people that those metallic reflective helium balloons are great because they reflect light, make a lot of random movements and noise that keeps many animals at bay. The issue is 'randomness'. If they see repeating patterns of movement or noise, animals will adapt and their 'flee' instinct no longer kicks in!

lesa

Garden Master
Reaction score
vfem, the thought of a bunch of mylar balloons brought a smile to my face! I can just picture it!

journey11

Garden Master
Reaction score
I live on top of a ridgeline and from my home you can see 6 cellphone towers in the surrounding distance with blinking red lights. I have never once observed any of the following up here, although they are prevalent in the valley: raccoons, skunks, owls, foxes, coyotes. We do not have wild cats, bear or wolves in this area.

Only once in the three years I've lived here did I see an oppossum up here. He was a big one and came to eat chicken bones out of my compost pile.

I can tell you most certainly that deer and rabbits are not bothered by the red lights. We don't have a plague of them up here like most everyone else does (I think the way we are situated between a steep cliff and the main road helps with that). They do make their way up to my garden usually in August when their other forage begins to dwindle.

This has been my experience with "blinking red lights", similar to, but not exactly the same as the Nite-Guard product.

lakeman

Sprout
Reaction score
vfem said:
I have an article that says the lights that go on automatically when creature come a creeping only work 2-3 times at best. Eventually they condition to the auto light and will just get into the garden anyways. Same with this 'red' light which does not really mimic what it claims. Its just a light that comes on animals are hesitate of.... and only for a limited period.

Its a Mother Earth News Article on proper fencing that came out last month I do believe.

I was suggested by several people that those metallic reflective helium balloons are great because they reflect light, make a lot of random movements and noise that keeps many animals at bay. The issue is 'randomness'. If they see repeating patterns of movement or noise, animals will adapt and their 'flee' instinct no longer kicks in!
Check out the item here, http://www.niteguard.com/ it is not just a red light, it is supposed to imitate a predator of the predator.

lakeman

Sprout
Reaction score
journey11 said:
I live on top of a ridgeline and from my home you can see 6 cellphone towers in the surrounding distance with blinking red lights. I have never once observed any of the following up here, although they are prevalent in the valley: raccoons, skunks, owls, foxes, coyotes. We do not have wild cats, bear or wolves in this area.

Only once in the three years I've lived here did I see an oppossum up here. He was a big one and came to eat chicken bones out of my compost pile.

I can tell you most certainly that deer and rabbits are not bothered by the red lights. We don't have a plague of them up here like most everyone else does (I think the way we are situated between a steep cliff and the main road helps with that). They do make their way up to my garden usually in August when their other forage begins to dwindle.

This has been my experience with "blinking red lights", similar to, but not exactly the same as the Nite-Guard product.
Check out the item here, http://www.niteguard.com/ it is not just a red light, it is supposed to imitate a predator of the predator. This is to be set up on an eye leval with what you are trying to scare away, and in no way is similer to the lights on towers. We are talking apples, and oranges.

vfem

Garden Addicted
Reaction score
All I'm saying is its a light. Depends on what you are trying to scare off... in a garden situation you're really trying to drive off deer, rabbit, moles and gophers. The animals that are damaging.

I'm not going to put faith in a light.

Its like paying $50 for the barn owl statue because its head moves!

lakeman

Sprout
Reaction score
My question is, has anyone had any experience with, or tried the predator light. those are the persons I am making inquiries to.

journey11

Garden Master
Reaction score
As high up as my elevation is, we are eye level with the cell towers. :rolleyes:

Latest posts