no! no! no! no! no! not the dredded white stuff!

Chickie'sMomaInNH

Garden Master
Reaction score
i just got back in from checking my chickens and taking the dog out. as i was turning away from their coop door i saw a little white flake go past my nose. then a few more :( it certainly is cold enough here today for it but we just went weeks with having 60 degree days to suddenly dropping to the 40's. brrrr
2029.gif

digitS'

Garden Master
Reaction score
We have got the record warmth now, Chickie'sMoma! Don't be jealous -- it won't last.

Yesterday's low of 47 was a record for the date. Tomorrow's high is predicted to be 5 above the previous record!

Also predicted, by the weekend, we will have snow on the ground and it won't be melting!

Steve

thistlebloom

Garden Master
Reaction score
We're having a long mild fall too. We did get a skiff of snow a week or two ago, but last night it only got down to the low 50's. That's warmer than a lot of summer nights were!
The change of seasons to winter is the toughest one. Once the snow is on the ground I'm good with it, but it's just hard to shift into that gear.

journey11

Garden Master
Reaction score
We got 8" off of frankenstorm Sandy last week and DD and I played out in it all afternoon. If I can get around to purchasing myself a new pair of winter workboots, I will be ready to say "bring it on"! I used to hate winter, and I do not enjoy worrying about my husband making his way to work on a snow-slick morning, but overall now I do try to find something to look forward to in each new season. I am ready to hole up for awhile, catch up on some reading and sewing, and do some holiday baking with all the goodies I have put up this summer. :)

lesa

Garden Master
Reaction score
That is the spirit, Journey! We have had a few flakes here and there, but nothing bad.... yet. It is in the 20's though (at night). Strangely, my violas, allysum, spike, and vinca vine- look better now, than they did in the summer! They won't last with these temps, but I smile every time I see them!

digitS'

Garden Master
Reaction score
And THAT's the spirit, Lesa!

I've been worrying a little about you. You know, sometimes your frustration with winter comes thru. We don't want you carried off by a few flurries and didn't want you carried off by Sandy, either :/.

You gotta tuff it out right past those mid-winter moments when you are bashing everything is sight with your snow shovel.

Steve

vfem

Garden Addicted
Reaction score
Oh bummer.... I HATE SNOW!

I've done the new england thing, and I'm so glad to be in the south now. :) Rarely do we have to deal w/ white stuff. I'm sure I'll see some this year though. :sick

Greenthumb18

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
3 to 4 inches fell here last night. Its way too early for the white stuff!! :barnie But what are you going to do, Mother Nature is in a hurry for Winter. I have peppers in the garden from this summer buried in the snow now. I had to move all my citrus trees in the garage. At least this weekend will be in the 60's. The snow wont last long.

so lucky

Garden Master
Reaction score
vfem, I don't know what part of NC you live in, but I thought NC got quite a bit of snow. At least, it has always seemed that there are big snow storms in the mountains. I think they are farther south than I live, but I guess the mountain range and relative closeness of the coast makes a difference. Maybe you live in a part that doesn't get all that weather.:hu

vfem

Garden Addicted
Reaction score
so lucky said:
vfem, I don't know what part of NC you live in, but I thought NC got quite a bit of snow. At least, it has always seemed that there are big snow storms in the mountains. I think they are farther south than I live, but I guess the mountain range and relative closeness of the coast makes a difference. Maybe you live in a part that doesn't get all that weather.:hu
Oh yes, the appalachin area always gets heavy snows, but we're in a central-eastern location far from the mountains. They usually block quite a bit of the cold weather coming south along the jet stream. We got snow 2 years ago, about 2 inches on Christmas and that was it that year. None last year. I think we had a couple of days and couple of inches in late January in 2008. I would probably say we get snow 1 or 2 days every 2 years or so. At least since I moved here 17 years ago.