No started tomatoes or peppers for me this year.....

pharmerphil

Chillin' In The Garden
Reaction score
In my many years of gardening I have never been in a situation where I didn't get something started...May not have been what I wanted (single and a bit..WILD)
But, as You say, plants can be obtained from sources nearby..
I told my wife this last year..
She was diagnosed with cancer, and even though we were devastated, she told me..I Have too much to do...to be sick...
We carried on, she was operated on...
We had a very successful year in the garden and at the Farmers Market
And she, was pronounced Cancer Free!!

This year we have 300 mixed variety of peppers, sweet to the Very hottest there is, 1000 tomatoes (Heirloom and Hybrids)
and other assorted veggies...we sell all but a hundred (or so)of the tomato plants..
We DO NOT sell the pepper plants..
We sell the heck out of peppers, hot sauce,and salsa

The heirloom hardneck garlic is up at a height of 6 inches, it gets a feeding today of fish emulsion and kelp..
We have our first planting of lettuce in the ground and I planted a small row of peas Tuesday (about 22 feet)
All is going Great, Looks like a early (albeit windy) start here in Southern Mn.:)

I don't get here often...
But Here's to a successful year for all:thumbsup

so lucky

Garden Master
Reaction score
Wow, pharmerphil, you sure don't mess around, do you? Just wondering, what is the reason you don't sell pepper plants? Do you do a weekly farmers market, or daily?

digitS'

Garden Master
Reaction score
'Phil does a good job noting his good news, and can be forgiven for not showing up often.

I can see a reason why I don't do processed food sales. The regulations are onerous!

I worry about removing the roots from green onions. Breaking and mixing lettuce leaves in bags of salad mix is out! Canning something ... oh boy ...

There may be academics at your local ag extension office who can help you through if you want to sell products like 'Phil markets. Or, there may not be. Their primary concern is to protect public health and that is true with your local health district.

Steve

bobm

Garden Master
Reaction score
'Phil does a good job noting his good news, and can be forgiven for not showing up often.

I can see a reason why I don't do processed food sales. The regulations are onerous!

I worry about removing the roots from green onions. Breaking and mixing lettuce leaves in bags of salad mix is out! Canning something ... oh boy ...

There may be academics at your local ag extension office who can help you through if you want to sell products like 'Phil markets. Or, there may not be. Their primary concern is to protect public health and that is true with your local health district.

Steve
I agree with Steve on all of the rules and regulations and the resulting headaches and costs. My wife was a prize winner many times over at the County and State fairs. She sold quite a bit of her handywork at city/ county regulated sales events for local farmers and artists at a profit. Then enter very tough regulations as well as a demand for product liability insurance from the vendors. My wife as well as everyone else would have to pay someone to take their product off their hands. Venue CLOSED !!!

ninnymary

Garden Master
Reaction score
Pharmerphil, it's good to see you here again. Sounds like your garden is hugh. So happy that your wife is cancer free and everything is going well for you. It's nice to hear good news!

Mary

Latest posts