Noob Gardener

Chick1043

Chillin' In The Garden
Reaction score
Hey everyone! I have looked around and posted a couple times on here. I've never really gardened though. I want to start a garden this summer. I have 3 garden beds outside that are never used. When's the best time to start a garden? Give me all the noob info!! Thanks :)

April Manier

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
Congrats on your decision to garden. It's one you will never regret. If your ground is dry enough I would turn in some manure for starters. What zone are you in?

897tgigvib

Garden Master
Reaction score
Yep Chick, it's important to know what garden zone you are in. Here in North america the simplest and most commonly used garden zone system is the USDA ZONE MAP. You can google that.

Also, importantly about finding about WHEN to start your garden is to know when you USUAL LAST FROST of winter/spring is in your area. Knowing your zone can give you a wide approximation of that, but other gardeners in your area can give you the best info about that last frost date. A good nursery, even a good down to earth employee at a big box garden center, or the folks at your local feed store, or neighbors and friends. Ask all of them!

For a first time gardener, grow the easy things your first year! Again, ask around to see what your neighbors say is easy. If you are along the coast of Oregon for instance, that may be Peas. (Someone jump in and correct me!) For most places there are some generally easy things to grow.

Quick and early determinate Tomatoes. Bush Early Girl is one.
Bush Snap Beans. Blue Lake Bush is a typical easy to find variety. <<< wait an extra 2 weeks before planting so the soil warms. Most areas there is no rush to get them in early.
Zucchini. Most of the easy to find seed varieties are good.

Peas can safely be planted at most places ABOUT 1 MONTH BEFORE THE LAST FROST DATE. For a beginner though, plant them about 2 weeks before the last frost.

Leaf Lettuce can be planted right around last frost date. Go ahead and do a few seeds a week early.

For your first garden, plant what a gardening friend around you plants. We'll help from here, and your experienced friend can help you from there.

You'll gain confidence and experience. Remember, all gardeners know failure sometimes, and we know problems we have overcome.

Unlike a large acreage farmer, a gardener has lots of different plants growing in a smaller area, and each plant likes different conditions.

There is sooo much more, but for a first garden, keep it simple.

momofdrew

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
Carol Dee said:
What Marshall said. And Enjoy.
also you need good soil if you have yucky soil you will have trouble growing most veggies...you should be able to find soil types on google and how to make your soil better...

Chick1043

Chillin' In The Garden
Reaction score
This is great information! I live in Idaho. I will make sure to get those garden beds fresh manure! I heard chicken poop can be a treat for your plants? True? Thanks everyone!

momofdrew

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
old chicken poop not fresh... fresh will burn the plants so make sure you use rotted down, composted poop...the only poop you can put on fresh is rabbit

897tgigvib

Garden Master
Reaction score
And mix that poop in real good.

I'm sure you know about compost. That's really good too!
There's a lot to know about WHY compost is such good stuff,
but for now, COMPOST IS GOOD! Really good! And, the best highest quality compost
is, well, the more the better. My garden has some soil mixed in my beds.
My beds are composed mainly of forest compost.

HotPepperQueen

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
Starting fresh with a new garden? Sounds like a dream to me! Do lots of research and most of all enjoy it all. Make sure to keep in mind to grow the things you know you will eat and the proper amounts so you don't have tons of waste and left overs. I was guilty of growing everything that did great in my area, but I didn't really enjoy eating them and could never find anyone to take it all. So then I got chickens :D Oh, and plan plan plan! My favorite part is planning my garden. There is kind of a science to it- certain veggies have friends and foes, everything has certain light and nutrient needs, and all veggies have zones they do better in.

Latest posts