Northern California

Reaction score
I'm in Sonoma County (about 60 miles north of San Francisco). I love to garden (veggies and flowers). Just bought 2 Ameraucana chicks and getting the coop and run ready. I'm on 5 acres (about one acre usable). I found you guys from Backyard Chickens. Anyone else from Northern CA?

allabout

Attractive To Bees
Reaction score
Hi! I found this place through BYC also. I'm glad you joined us! I'm not from Cal. but from Alabama. I just wanted to tell you welcome. There are alot of us that garden and raise chickens...it just feels nice to gather eggs and fresh veggies from the garden and finish up with a small bouque of flowers in almost every room!

I know there are some people from Southern Cal. on TEG, just give the others time to chime in!

:welcome

OaklandCityFarmer

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
Let's get this thread going again!

I'm from the SF Bay Area, Oakland specifically. Have a house that's on a 1/2 acre, 2 plots within the city that total about 4000 square feet of vegetable and testing gardens and we have close to about 40 acres in southern Monterey County that we just purchased and we're slowing building up a collection of fruit trees and one day we hope to plant gardens there and eventually live there. Weekend commuting for now.

Carlos

ninnymary

Garden Master
Reaction score
Hi, I live in Alameda. Welcome to TEG! You will love this site!:) I am a new veggie gardener. I have a preschool in our home and we have 5 pet chickens that give us delicious organic eggs. I love Sonoma and wish I had that much land. Oh well, we do with what we have and it is a great teaching tool for the kids.

mary

OaklandCityFarmer

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
ninnymary said:
Hi, I live in Alameda. Welcome to TEG! You will love this site!:) I am a new veggie gardener. I have a preschool in our home and we have 5 pet chickens that give us delicious organic eggs. I love Sonoma and wish I had that much land. Oh well, we do with what we have and it is a great teaching tool for the kids.

mary
Sounds pretty cool Mary, we've been teaching some gardening and sustainability classes out of our house and the local community garden. We've been convinced to do a kid oriented class for this year. I would love to hear what you've been able to do.

ninnymary

Garden Master
Reaction score
Thank you Oaklandcityfarmer!

In the past we only planted tomatoes but this year I was finally able to let go of half of my flower bed that was used for flowers. I love flowers! But now we have about 100sq. feet in a sunny location for our veggies. We had our soil tested, amended it with compost and other nutrients and are ready to go!

Every day we dig for worms for our chickens, and when we collect eggs everyone has to touch it to feel how warm it is. This never gets old!

The only thing we had over the winter is parsley. And I am amazed at how often the kids ask me if they can get a piece to eat.

Our outdoors is like our science room and with our new veggie garden it will be just awesome! Our chickens and gardening is a hugh selling point to parents! Even in this economy, I am always full and parents love it.

Mary

897tgigvib

Garden Master
Reaction score
I was raised in Sonoma County. It's where my first gardens were.

Latest posts