Northern gardens

MinnesotaGardening

Garden Ornament
Reaction score
My garlic and rhubarb are coming up nicely and the perennial herbs are starting to green up a little. I hope they don't take a step back after the ice storm last night. Everything is still coated in ice as it didn't get above freezing and was cloudy all day. 24 degrees out now.

seedcorn

Garden Master
Reaction score
@seedcorn , I love your pavers. Was that a swingset, or a swinging chair?
It was a swing/slide for kids. When they out grew it, became my swing. Rained so much last year, swing never left rafters of shed. Hope to use it this year. Pavers came from Illinois. Neighbors to in laws dug them up and FIL, took them as they didn't want them. Wish I would have taken more....

baymule

Garden Master
Reaction score
My garlic and rhubarb are coming up nicely and the perennial herbs are starting to green up a little. I hope they don't take a step back after the ice storm last night. Everything is still coated in ice as it didn't get above freezing and was cloudy all day. 24 degrees out now.
24 degrees and ice! I hope the ice doesn't burn anything.

digitS'

Garden Master
Reaction score
Most any other year, I could have claimed that we just had our first meal with a garden vegetable.

This year, we had a few bok choy that were surviving and then turned green and healthy after the hoophouse went over them. We also had last year's kale and collard plants that survived the warm winter and had some nice leaves for the kitchen.

But usually ... it's chives :). And, we had toast and scrambled eggs with cheese and chives.

Then today, it snowed ... after an afternoon high of 42°f and with 30mph wind gusts ... the snow was blowing horizontally and, of course, melting immediately. It was another March when I couldn't get out of the backyard and into the garden.

:idunnoSteve

baymule

Garden Master
Reaction score
Last year was terrible for me too. I have cases of empty jars that I hope to fill this year!

The ragweed and lambs quarters were outstanding in the garden last year. I finally gave up on trying to keep anything edible alive and the weeds took off. My best crop was volunteer watermelons that were a result of tossing rinds to the various animals. They were delicious! Haha. This is a picture of my 245 pound ram in my garden last fall.

8730D7AE-95C3-43FA-B4CB-DB60C0561B5A.jpeg

seedcorn

Garden Master
Reaction score
Terrible is in the eyes of the beholder. For you, it was beyond terrible. Ringo thought great year, let’s do it again.

ducks4you

Garden Master
Reaction score
East Central IL, Was Zone 6, Now...maybe Zone 5
It was a swing/slide for kids. When they out grew it, became my swing. Rained so much last year, swing never left rafters of shed. Hope to use it this year. Pavers came from Illinois. Neighbors to in laws dug them up and FIL, took them as they didn't want them. Wish I would have taken more....
Free pavers and bricks are the Best!!
I finally emailed my neighbor, who bought and is renovating the house across the street. We had a falling out last year and I wasn't sure, but he Does want me to take the pile of bricks from the chimney that he took out. Here, I was thinking he would say, "no."
I was Going to load them in my tow wagon, but DH suggested the Tractor!!! My good friend, who can fix mowers is coming over today and I will pay him to load them up for us.
They will line some beds this year and I will FINALLY have enough bricks to build to hot/cold frame that I have wanted on the south side of the garage.

Latest posts