Not Baby Carrots?

silkiechicken

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
Yeah, you can tell "baby" carrots are just diced and peeled larger carrots because the center part looks just like a large carrot.

As for dipping in chlorine, they say nothing about concentration used. Plus many use chlorine to sterilize well water... and is chlorine used in drinking water from public sources too.

trunkman

Attractive To Bees
Reaction score
I heard about those baby carrots and no longer buy them, I was sold on them when I heard that they were far better than regular carrots because they were baby. We know better now thanks to people like you, thanks for spreading the word. By the way, love your website... :D

vfem

Garden Addicted
Reaction score
Always love your blog! Thanks for the information!

I don't know how to look it up and watch it, but there was a "How things are made" show by discovery that showed the process to how they made and packaged baby carrots. My father-in-law raved about it over dinner one night. He passed away 2 years ago now, so its been awhile since it has aired.

wifezilla

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
I grow little carrots because the soil here can be hard as a rock. I stopped buying those over priced baby carrots last year. Now I am looking forward to the cute little round ones I have in the garden :D

digitS'

Garden Master
Reaction score
"Grinders"

They are a processed food. So, there is that step of sanitizing them with chlorine since they are not cooked.

Baby carrots are easier to grow than the large ones. They are harvested sooner which means there are less things that can go wrong ;).

Steve

hoodat

Garden Addicted
Reaction score
wifezilla said:
I grow little carrots because the soil here can be hard as a rock. I stopped buying those over priced baby carrots last year. Now I am looking forward to the cute little round ones I have in the garden :D
I like those round carrots too. I have sandy loam (it was all sand and no loam when I started) but I also have a lot of small rocks in it which distort the roots on deep carrots.

lesa

Garden Master
Reaction score
Hubby and I had a big argument about this. I just couldn't believe anything so stupid... I wrote to the company... Okay, so this time he was right!
Of course, there are small carrots and there are baby carrots- just not those cute ones they sell in plastic bags! Gotta love marketing!

baymule

Garden Master
Reaction score
Eeewww......(going to refrigerator to toss out bag of imposter baby carrots...) Will never buy them again. Duh, completely taken in by marketing strategy. I used to feel semi-intelligent, now I am informed. Thanks and I love your website.

Latest posts