Not enough room on yer stove top ?

janetnjim

Garden Ornament
Reaction score
Go git yer turkey fryer out and put yer cannin pot on top o' that. Not only does it afford more room for your 2nd/3rd pot,but it heats up and comes to a boil much much quicker than yer stove. (propane burns hotter than natural gas)

Grow 4 Food

Garden Ornament
Reaction score
I agree, however there are a lot of canners that tell you not to use a burner like that while actually canning. Not sure why.

janetnjim

Garden Ornament
Reaction score
Grow 4 Food said:
I agree, however there are a lot of canners that tell you not to use a burner like that while actually canning. Not sure why.
Where did you read this? Where can i find it?
I don' see what difference it makes whether i use my propane gas stove, my propane turkey fryer, my propane grill,my fire place,a camp fire in the back yard. MMMmmmmmmmmm.............. :idunno :hu

Cassandra

Garden Ornament
Reaction score
Mine had a big mean warning lable on the side that had a picture of my canner sitting on the top of a turkey fryer burner, in a red circle with a line drawn through it.

It didn't say why and I wonder (all the time!) what's the problem.

I dunno...

Cassandra

patandchickens

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
I wonder whether it could be a stability issue? Being as a typical canner is wider than a typical turkey fryer. That is the only thing I can think of.

Pat

Cassandra

Garden Ornament
Reaction score
Could be. It is like my worst nightmare to spill a pot of boiling water on me. One time (when our hot water heater was out for a few days) my aunt Susan (when she was a young teen) was carrying a pot (like a canner size pot) of hot water off the stove to the bathroom and she spilled it on her. It was AWFUL.

awful awful awful

I was just elementary school age at the time. About all I remember is that she had to go to the hospital wrapped in a sheet.

So, you can imagine I don't move my big pots of hot water around much. My boiling water has to sit on the back burner (because it's big) and it blocks the stove knob. When I'm done, I just move the canner over like half an inch so I can turn the burner off.

Then, I LEAVE it there overnight until it's completely cool. Spilling hot jelly on you would be even worse!

Cassandra

janetnjim

Garden Ornament
Reaction score
patandchickens said:
I wonder whether it could be a stability issue? Being as a typical canner is wider than a typical turkey fryer. That is the only thing I can think of.

Pat
More than likely Pat that is why. Keep in mind that ALL manfacturers now adays have no choice but to approache all thier products with the mindset that they are deeling wth a public loaded with idiots that use and or have no common sense.
Also,not all turkey fryers are created equal. I have seen some that are pretty narrow and designed for only smaller birds. Mine on the other hand is huge and is much wider that my cannin pots.
With the use of common sense and patietly workin in yr kitchen i see no reason why not to take advantage of the extra burnerthat yer turkey fryr has to offer. It sure is HUGE time saver fer us. It allows me to have 3 cannin pots goin at the same time.