Not exactly for the garden...

hangin'witthepeeps

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
My work hatched some broiler chicks last year and they needed a home after the class was done. I took them and gave them to my broody. She, of course, had them walking every where to eat and boy did they eat. So they were very healthy and I didn't process until week 11. There was one who was almost the size of a small turkey, but they were good. If you let the broody raise them, they will exercise more and won't gain as fast. They also develop their muscles and won't be as tender, but they are more tender than 15 week old heritage rooster.

vfem

Garden Addicted
Reaction score
Mine have been extremely personable. I come over and they come running knowing I'm the lady with food and water. To see them tackle one another to get to that bowl first is hilarious! Even the duckling is doing the same thing and pigging out.

This morning was awesome, they got hard boiled eggs as well as their starter feed. I also am putting Nutri-Drench into their water for the protein and vitamin E. I'm hoping it keeps their growth more healthy and less likely to have leg problems.

We're still a week or so away from building the tractor coop, the pen is better then being inside for sure... but not as good as having the ability to move them around the yard.

I need to get more pictures tomorrow!

vfem

Garden Addicted
Reaction score
Ok, unfortunately... I lost one of the meaties this afternoon. I got up and fed and watered everyone this morning, and moved the coop a few more feet. (Below is the pic of them in the new tractor coop I made) Then this afternoon I went back out and 1 of the hens had died! She was just laid straight out with her legs pointed straight out and her wings against her side. She was in fact still warm so it just happened!

I'm concerned on what it could have been? No signs of disease, I've checked her over and the others. Nothing out of the ordinary. Full crop and such. I have been told there are certain health problems with cornish x, but I am yet to experience any issues with mine. Could she have had health issues with her heart or something due to the massive amount of growth they've had?

Just trying to get some clarity, can't afford to lose anymore with what I have invested into this adventure!

5842_img00544.jpg

hangin'witthepeeps

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
Could have been anything to stress her or her heart just gave out. It happens a lot in the broiler chicken industry. Sorry I don't have any better answers. If she had coccidia it wouldn't have been this fast. With no loose feathers on the ground and no suspicious activity before death, then I suspect it was heat stress or a weak heart.

RickF

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
vfem said:
Ok, here I got them out with my second broody who accepted them in a heart beat! Such a good mama to take all 6 meaties and 1 duck! :D
Does that mean I might be able to take a set of freshly hatched chicks and see if my one of my 2 year old Orpingtons might adopt them as their own and let them take care of them? I hadn't thought about that..

P.S. Sorry to hear about one bird not making it..

Stubbornhillfarm

Attractive To Bees
Reaction score
momofdrew said:
SHF did you go to the same class as I did about raising chickens????
If what I said sounded familliar, then I would say, "Yes!" :D I certainly didn't come up with all of that knowledge on my own. hahaha! Of course, now I want to know who you were. That's just where my brain goes!! :D We are getting our meaties and turkeys in two weeks.

I am really sorry vfem that you lost one of your hens. I would say the same as others, that I doesn't appear to be anything you could have avoided. They do grow so fast. That unfortunatly is one of the downfalls of the modern meatie. I hope that the rest of them live out their days as planned. I must say they look good. In fact...they look better then my laying hens with their naked backs from our roo.

hangin'witthepeeps

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
RickF:

My hen only accepts chicks if she is broody and has been setting for at least 3 weeks. I have tried as soon as she went broody and it did not work and I have tried when she wasn't broody at all, I ended up with some dead chicks.

You might want to check out BackYardChickens.com. That's where I learned all about broody hens.

vfem

Garden Addicted
Reaction score
hangin'witthepeeps said:
RickF:

My hen only accepts chicks if she is broody and has been setting for at least 3 weeks. I have tried as soon as she went broody and it did not work and I have tried when she wasn't broody at all, I ended up with some dead chicks.

You might want to check out BackYardChickens.com. That's where I learned all about broody hens.
Yes Rick, that is true! You need them to be broody at least the length of time it would take for them to hatch their own. Being that they are girls, their hormones control them! LOL

Update today: another died yesterday after being listless and refusing to eat yesterday morning. I started treating for cocci just because she had blood on her booty when I found her. No other blood in the stool was visible in the rest of the droppings in the pen, but I rather not chance it. Also switched over the evening before last to fermented feed since they were drinking soooooooooo much water. I think dehydration and lack of nutrients staying in their system may be signs of heart stress which could have lead to a heart condition with these. I read good things about the fermented feed, so we're doing them for the rest of the time with the meaties. If that goes well, I may switch over my layers as well. Good time to experiment since these birds were an experiment. If these 4 make it to the freezer I will definitely do this again.

Latest posts