Not for the squeemish....

April Manier

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
Last year we ended up with 3 roosters after buying chicks. 2 of them were obnoxious so ...off with their heads!

We kept the little Brahma because he was cute a quiet. But gradually he has grown to think he is "all that." I was spending my time in the pen, never turning my back, and frequently kicking him 5 feet. He has gotten louder and louder and sitting on the little rocker by the chicken yard was just not peaceful anymore.

We decided to make the cut--literally-- this last week. My hubby brought him over. He was so calm and sweet, we felt bad. Hubby said, "Awe, I feel bad. OK, I'm going to give you another chance," the roo was quiet and sweet, "but you have to be more quiet, " hubby walking him, petting him, "Because I'm noise sensitive and-"

"Cluck, CLUCK CLUCK CLACK!"

With that my hubby says, "OK, you've made your decision." And a few moments later roo was forever silent.

Farewell Do-do.

:tongue

I'd like to say I'm sad, but it was so pleasant this morning...

Smiles Jr.

Garden Addicted
Reaction score
Aren't those loud roosters obnoxious??? I have one now that is very friendly, calm, and, so far, doesn't attack anyone. But his crow is ear-piercing. My next door neighbor is 1/2 mile down the road and he STILL LOUD way over there. And he's only 10 months old.

canesisters

Garden Master
Reaction score
Poor little pesky roo. I bet he was yummy.
I wish I could post my roo's crow. It's actually a very nice sound.

vfem

Garden Addicted
Reaction score
I am so grateful my mottled cochin roo is quiet! I heard him this morning, but I had to be standing out on the deck. If I walked in the house I could no longer hear a thing. He's such a good boy too. He does some weird spin his head around like an owl thing watching me when I walk around. I thought I was getting the stink eye... then I realized it wasn't ME his weird head move was watching, but it was my hand. He needed to be 100% sure I wasn't going to drop anything yummy on the ground he would miss. He's more interested in food then ANYTHING else. As we're the food providers he's been so sweet to all of us and has never been aggressive. If it ever changes, I'll feel terrible... but off with his head!

Chickie'sMomaInNH

Garden Master
Reaction score
i have a nasty little roo that attacks me if the flock doesn't have much food left in their dishes and i happen to get too close to him while i'm filling the dish. he takes that opportunity to 'teach' me the lesson of keeping that dish filled. the past 2 weeks he has gotten me twice. now he's really on the 'list'. i've put up with him for the past 2 1/2 years because he has had long periods between attacks like this and he usually runs away as soon as he's done his job. he's been good to the girls but hasn't been allowed to mate them because my other 2 head roos won't allow him that opportunity. maybe it's the season because i noticed all my birds seem to be feisty today. even the girls were giving my boys their beat downs today! :lol:

it's time to send a few bantam roos to freezer camp. :rolleyes: i'm a push over and just don't have the heart for doing that deed myself. i'm hoping the hubby will be up to doing that in a few more weeks.

bj taylor

Garden Ornament
Reaction score
i confess my roo is pretty noisy. he doesn't limit his crowing to just morning, but uses it whenever he gets a whim. but he's such a good rooster - i tolerate it.

ducks4you

Garden Master
Reaction score
East Central IL, Was Zone 6, Now...maybe Zone 5
I am the butcher-er at my house. I particularly like 2-3 month old rooster bc it's SO TENDER.
I got 3 roosters last year from my friend. He had his laying flock decimated by a raccoon. He bought 6 birds from a local farmer and didn't want to keep the 3 roosters, so I took them, And I overwintered the pretty one. We get crowing from two locations every day.

hoodat

Garden Addicted
Reaction score
One of those family stories. My young sister was trying to get through a barbed wire fence and her dress got snagged. She was bent over and something about those white cotton panties set off the white leghorn rooster. She got spurred pretty bad till my grandmother ran out and grabbed him by the neck. She asked my sister what to do with him and she answered,"Kill him Grandma and I'll eat his heart".

so lucky

Garden Master
Reaction score
I bet a lot of roosters have met the stewpot for attacking somebody's grand daughter. Same thing happened to me when I was 3. Only it was a bright red coat and I was going through the chicken yard to the outhouse. We ate him the next day. That only traumatized me for about 50 years. (the attack, not the eating) lol!

Latest posts