Not Good

Nyboy

Garden Master
Reaction score
Had 2 cups of soil taken to county extension agents office, was told soil was to wet. I put soil out in sun to dry, when I checked it a few days later it had turn to rock. Don't need soil test to tell me not good.

digitS'

Garden Master
Reaction score
I don't know if they can tell you if adding coarse sand will improve things, @Nyboy , maybe. You should get a reading on organic matter and a range of what is recommended. Then, it will probably just come down to N-P-K.

Maybe a good massage during the workouts leading up to the day of those tests would help that soil. I think they might have helped me that time I froze during a final on science theory . . !

Steve

secuono

Garden Master
Reaction score
That top soil stuff lowes and other stores sell does the same thing. Get it wet and when it dries, it's as hard as rock! No idea what it's made of to get that hard...

ducks4you

Garden Master
Reaction score
East Central IL, Was Zone 6, Now...maybe Zone 5
I have been learning and experimenting with composting. I have a LOT of it bc I keep 3 horses and about 20 chickens, so I pile up the bedding to use when it breaks down. My soil, too, turns into a rock bc of it's clay content. This is especially so when it gets compacted.
My advice is to start mixing in compost. I have 6 beds now that I am happy with. I do use a tiller, but it often exacerbates the situation. It takes a lot of elbow grease to mix and mix and mix, then leave alone, then mix and mix and mix and it mixes better with a spade or large fork. Once you establish a well composted bed you get to use your hand as a shovel to plant your transplants, so it IS worth the effort. Leave your soil alone and your transplants will die if you forget to water them. That was me about 6 years ago.
If you don't have lifestock, call a local horse stable and see if they will let you pick up stall waste. All of our sweet feed and chicken feed comes in 40-50 lb plastic bags, now. Boarders throw the bags away. You just need to retrieve bags, ask to be pointed to the manure pile, fill with a shovel and close the bags with duct tape so they don't leak from the top in transport. (These bags will not break open in the middle bc they are tough enough to throw away glass!) Again, more elbow grease. You will also want to use Preen to kill off any seeds, but if you just get 6 bags of it and pile it up, by next spring, you will have composted dirt to use in your garden. Stables pay to have it hauled away, so it will be free. If you lived close to me I would welcome the cleanup.

Nyboy

Garden Master
Reaction score
I have become email friendly with a farmer who owns the largest farm in town. He offered me all the manure I want. He has 500 cows and big trucks. I just want to make sure dumping large loads is the way to go. How high does a rasied bed need to be for a dwarf tree?

baymule

Garden Master
Reaction score
Bear in mind I don't have a fruit tree orchard. But truck loads of manure sound like a darn good start toward the soil you want. It will rot down and what was three feet high will probably wind up being six inches high. The best way to amend the soil is with organic matter and what better than manure? You can plant green cover crops on it and it will add to the humus.

Talk to the extension agent to see what other amendments you would need to add so the soil balance doesn't get skewered one way or another. Soil samples! You might need to add minerals to the mix.

And did you know there are apples that are red on the inside?? I had no idea! I gotta have some of these!!

http://www.greenmantlenursery.com/fruit/rosetta-apples.htm