NSW Australia

butteryscotch

Leafing Out
Reaction score
Hello all! I'm one of a long line of beef farmers located in south-east New South Wales Australia. We typically focus on organic meat production on an intimate scale, but since the folks bought a 1500 acre heavy bush property, I've found that the place isn't really that suited to our large four-legged friends. So currently I'm focusing on smaller things... such as fish, poultry and plants.
Looking forward to getting to know the community!

Carol Dee

Garden Master
Reaction score
:frow@butteryscotch :welcome from Eastern Iowa, USA (Where the Mississippi river runs east to west! ) The top item on my bucket list is to visit Australia someday. :)

ninnymary

Garden Master
Reaction score
Welcome to our great gardening group! Glad to have you with us. Tell us a little more about your self. How many chickens do you have and what do you like to grow?

Mary

Smart Red

Garden Master
Reaction score
:welcome @butteryscotch, from south-est, central-est Wisconsin, USA. I will enjoy learning about your special challenges gardening large scale in NSW. I always enjoy meeting folks from different parts of the world. Glad to have you gardening with us.

butteryscotch

Leafing Out
Reaction score
:frow@butteryscotch :welcome from Eastern Iowa, USA (Where the Mississippi river runs east to west! ) The top item on my bucket list is to visit Australia someday. :)
(That was quick!)
My sister in law is from the States (it does sound like a nice place to visit, but I'm yet to find time/money to travel) :)

Welcome to our great gardening group! Glad to have you with us. Tell us a little more about your self. How many chickens do you have and what do you like to grow?

Mary

Thanks for the warm welcome!
There is allot of work to be done before the chickens can move to where I intend for them to be (as I said, it's VERY heavy bush!), but currently we're looking at about 6 chickens and moving up from there (about two years ago we had about 60 free ranging, but we couldn't collect the eggs as they'd lay anywhere, so we're starting again, trying out running them in a more confined space... which is still about 5 acres).
Because of the wild goat, rabbit, wallaby and wombat problems, as it currently stands, I'm not growing much apart from a large-ish apple orchid... until I can get the fence up and running again. As it stands right now, apart from trees, all my stuff is being grown in town (we own and run a B&B in the local village). My stuff mainly being herbs.

:frow Welcome! :frow Glad you found us! :frow
As am I!

:welcome @butteryscotch, from south-est, central-est Wisconsin, USA. I will enjoy learning about your special challenges gardening large scale in NSW. I always enjoy meeting folks from different parts of the world. Glad to have you gardening with us.

It is very different over here from what I can tell. I'm looking forward to hearing about up there!

baymule

Garden Master
Reaction score
Welcome from north east Texas! We have some hot weather here, lush forest and lately, lots of RAIN!

What's the rainfall and weather there?

butteryscotch

Leafing Out
Reaction score
Welcome from north east Texas! We have some hot weather here, lush forest and lately, lots of RAIN!

What's the rainfall and weather there?

Well, I'm from south NSW, so it's extremely cold at the moment (on an Australian standard). Most nights it gets to about -8 degrees (in Fahrenheit that's about 17.6). Most of the time, water is an enormous issue, but recently, our weather has been better (water-wise) than it has been in decades. Some of the paddocks are actually green.
Are natural disasters a big issue over there?

seedcorn

Garden Master
Reaction score
Welcome. I am looking forward to learning about Australia.

Carol Dee

Garden Master
Reaction score
Well, I'm from south NSW, so it's extremely cold at the moment (on an Australian standard). Most nights it gets to about -8 degrees (in Fahrenheit that's about 17.6). Most of the time, water is an enormous issue, but recently, our weather has been better (water-wise) than it has been in decades. Some of the paddocks are actually green.
Are natural disasters a big issue over there?
Natural disasters are a part of life around here. The Mississisppi floods almost every spring. (Strangely not this spring!) But it is flooding in Texas Really bad flooding- see some of @flowerweaver 's posts. The mid-west and other parts of the country are prone to tornados all summer. Hurricanes hit the gulf coast and east coast far to often. Then of course California shakes a bit! I am happy to say I live high enough to be out of a flood plane and away from any fault line that might have a quake. Only need to worry about tornadoes and strong thunderstorms with embedded straight line winds some times over 70-80 miles and hour and hail! Hunkered down tonight watching radar for storm warnings. Then I almost forgot blizzards like they had in the North east this winter.

Latest posts