nuthin' to do?

digitS'

Garden Master
Reaction score
Could there really be nuthin' to do in the garden today??

shocked.gif

I have just realized how limited everything is in the garden this June (including weeds), what with so much cool weather. Hey, nuthin' is growing!

You should see my kale. No, it's an embarrassment . . . Yes, it was transplanted out very late - about 3 weeks ago. The flea beetles found it and beat it up pretty bad. Dang! The plants are only about 4" tall!

The bok choy that was transplanted out is fixin' to flower soon. There has been weeks of harvest from that bed . . . &, the green onions from sets have just reached good enuf size to harvest. (Always feel like I'm kind of cheating growing onions from sets :p.) The onions from transplants are too tiny, even for scallions. Spinach is now gone. I think there were 4 lettuce plants that were harvested this week . . .

Yeah, I sort of got things weeded. Did a good job most places but running the little Mantis-type tiller (Honda) in the little veggie garden yesterday - accomplished very little. Two weeks ago, it rained immediately after I finished running the tiller - transplanting the weeds :rolleyes:. Happened again yesterday . . . a real gutter-washer!! Well, I guess I won't have to run the sprinklers for another week.

Everywhere, the available ground is fully planted. I could do some thinning but, you know how that is - ain't no fun and just takes a minute so, it's best to put it off.

Maybe, I'll go for a walk . . .

Steve

lesa

Garden Master
Reaction score
Yes take a walk- and then take a seat with a view of all your hard work. Soon enough your back will be aching! Enjoy!

catjac1975

Garden Master
Reaction score
No weeds?????
digitS' said:
Could there really be nuthin' to do in the garden today??

http://i60.photobucket.com/albums/h22/Digit_007/Just 4 Fun/shocked.gif

I have just realized how limited everything is in the garden this June (including weeds), what with so much cool weather. Hey, nuthin' is growing!

You should see my kale. No, it's an embarrassment . . . Yes, it was transplanted out very late - about 3 weeks ago. The flea beetles found it and beat it up pretty bad. Dang! The plants are only about 4" tall!

The bok choy that was transplanted out is fixin' to flower soon. There has been weeks of harvest from that bed . . . &, the green onions from sets have just reached good enuf size to harvest. (Always feel like I'm kind of cheating growing onions from sets :p.) The onions from transplants are too tiny, even for scallions. Spinach is now gone. I think there were 4 lettuce plants that were harvested this week . . .

Yeah, I sort of got things weeded. Did a good job most places but running the little Mantis-type tiller (Honda) in the little veggie garden yesterday - accomplished very little. Two weeks ago, it rained immediately after I finished running the tiller - transplanting the weeds :rolleyes:. Happened again yesterday . . . a real gutter-washer!! Well, I guess I won't have to run the sprinklers for another week.

Everywhere, the available ground is fully planted. I could do some thinning but, you know how that is - ain't no fun and just takes a minute so, it's best to put it off.

Maybe, I'll go for a walk . . .

Steve

digitS'

Garden Master
Reaction score
catjac1975 said:
No weeds?????
You know, what weeds there are, are almost impossible to see. That's my story, Cathy, and I'm sticking to it ;). I got the bigger stuff.

Anyway, the purslane seed was just able to start germinating. Those little plants look very much like tiny pebbles - 2 leaves, laying against the soil surface. I've gone thru several beds already but missing quite a few is a given. Now, I have to make sure that I don't make things more difficult for myself by stalling and not getting back to scratch around for the rest of them.

I didn't go for that stroll around the neighborhood. Two olde couples walked by and they just looked so purposeless :rolleyes:. While I was standing around hoping to see some kid come by
1sm389Grandpa.gif
so I could yell at him - I noticed that the last of the bluet really needed to go and there was even some forget-me-nots that I'd forgotten . . . Then, there were some of those shoots up from the roots of one of the roses that needed to be pruned off. I still haven't figured out how to get rid of those without taking out an otherwise, nice rose bush. I'll consider those darn things weeds (just to justify my existence this morning).

Oh, and now back out to finish changing the oil on the Dodge.

Steve

catjac1975

Garden Master
Reaction score
Maybe you can help them with their weeding.
digitS' said:
catjac1975 said:
No weeds?????
You know, what weeds there are, are almost impossible to see. That's my story, Cathy, and I'm sticking to it ;). I got the bigger stuff.

Anyway, the purslane seed was just able to start germinating. Those little plants look very much like tiny pebbles - 2 leaves, laying against the soil surface. I've gone thru several beds already but missing quite a few is a given. Now, I have to make sure that I don't make things more difficult for myself by stalling and not getting back to scratch around for the rest of them.

I didn't go for that stroll around the neighborhood. Two olde couples walked by and they just looked so purposeless :rolleyes:. While I was standing around hoping to see some kid come by http://i60.photobucket.com/albums/h22/Digit_007/Just 4 Fun/1sm389Grandpa.gif so I could yell at him - I noticed that the last of the bluet really needed to go and there was even some forget-me-nots that I'd forgotten . . . Then, there were some of those shoots up from the roots of one of the roses that needed to be pruned off. I still haven't figured out how to get rid of those without taking out an otherwise, nice rose bush. I'll consider those darn things weeds (just to justify my existence this morning).

Steve

catjac1975

Garden Master
Reaction score
You should never look too closely when you think you are done. What do you use purslane for?I pull it out!
digitS' said:
catjac1975 said:
No weeds?????

I didn't go for that stroll around the neighborhood. Two olde couples walked by and they just looked so purposeless :rolleyes:. While I was standing around hoping to see some kid come by http://i60.photobucket.com/albums/h22/Digit_007/Just 4 Fun/1sm389Grandpa.gif so I could yell at him - I noticed that the last of the bluet really needed to go and there was even some forget-me-nots that I'd forgotten . . . Then, there were some of those shoots up from the roots of one of the roses that needed to be pruned off. I still haven't figured out how to get rid of those without taking out an otherwise, nice rose bush. I'll consider those darn things weeds (just to justify my existence this morning).

Steve

digitS'

Garden Master
Reaction score
I pull the purslane, too .

. . and bury it .

That seems to be the best way to kill it. Get it underground! I once pulled a purslane plant, set it on concrete in the full sun. Three weeks later, it was not only still alive but had righted itself and was blooming!!

Steve
who now & then nibbles on purslane, a little

Latest posts