Nyboy - Rose of Sharon Question

GardenGeisha

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
Hi, there,

I don't see a single leaf on any of the Roses of Sharon you sent me, although the stalks are still greenish-gray. Shouldn't they be leafed out by now???

lesa

Garden Master
Reaction score
They take forever....give it awhile longer. I think mine are dead every year!

ducks4you

Garden Master
Reaction score
East Central IL, Was Zone 6, Now...maybe Zone 5
Be patient. I have my two Rose of Sharons, a lavendar and a pink one, on the north side of my garage, which is a separate building from the house. The one on the NE corner is fully leafed and the other one is about 1/2 leafed. If I don't tend to it, they will try to grow a forest of Rose of Sharons every year. They grow like weeds. I wait until after a heavy rain to pull out the volunteers. You can also prune them pretty much any time and they spring back, just FYI.

luis_pr

Leafing Out
Reaction score
I have a tall shrub that came with the house. It leafed out a while back ago and is starting to bloom. When did you plant your stalks? Have they leafed out yet?

I am curious as I am thinking of taking some cuttings to plant. Next year though. It is too hot to plant outside now. We are close to the 100s.

catjac1975

Garden Master
Reaction score
Don't bother with cuttings. If you look around your property you will more than likely find many young seedlings. They love to be pruned. I would cut yours way back after bloom or even next spring. It will get bushy and full.Ours do not bloom until late summer.
luis_pr said:
I have a tall shrub that came with the house. It leafed out a while back ago and is starting to bloom. When did you plant your stalks? Have they leafed out yet?

I am curious as I am thinking of taking some cuttings to plant. Next year though. It is too hot to plant outside now. We are close to the 100s.

luis_pr

Leafing Out
Reaction score
Interesting. I must be mowing over them or killing them somehow. The ROS shrub is more than 10 years old and I have never noticed seedlings before (that is why I thought of propagation by cuttings). A second one that has a different color bloom has not done that either but it is somewhat surrounded by cement and a wall.

nelson castro

Chillin' In The Garden
Reaction score
Rose of Sharon can be VERY invasive due to the numerous seeds produced in the capsules. Snip them off before they open.

Latest posts